Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Comparing work environments in New York City

Originally posted by MOSERFERNANDES View Post
    Hey guys - sorry to bust in on your thread - I am thinking of re-locating and wondered if you know or are willing to tell me what a Top Rate per hour is in NY? Thanks for your time in advance and if you work too hard life aint worth it. you can most probably earn the same working for yourself... ? I do... Cheers.
    I hear ya... I've decided to stay freelance. It's just not worth 50-60 hour weeks for the price of 40. F that noise. That said, a top rate for a high-end retoucher in NYC could top out around $150 an hour... but that is very rare. You would need to have a reputation and some hype to get clients willing to pay that. The range in rates vary greatly and sometimes it makes no sense. In my experience, the ranges have been sort of like this, depending on your skill level: Junior- $25-$40, Mid Level: $40-$60, Senior: $60 - up. It also depends who the client is (big corporation, individual photographer, retouching studio) Often, there is a lot of delicate negotiation needed to get what you want. They always seems to try to talk you into a lower rate blaming it on the poor economy, which isn't all that bad anymore. In NYC, the best BS artist wins, but it helps if you actually have artistic talent and a portfolio to prove it.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• sweetsurndr
      Stigma Regarding Working For A Studio/House?
      by sweetsurndr
      Hey all!

I'm just graduating college and I really want to start a full fledged career in retouching.

I'm from a small town in Ohio and I really want to move to a bigger city where the industry is really prevalent (at least beauty and fashion).

For about the...
      06-02-2012, 03:13 PM
    • eraanexact
      Question for studio retouchers
      by eraanexact
      Have you guys ever worked as the sole retoucher for just one photographer (not one of the dinosaurs, but someone who is well represented, published in Vogue regularly)? And if so, how does it compare to a studio environment (multiple client roster,mix of ad and editorial jobs)? Do you burn out retouching...
      07-13-2013, 11:59 AM
    • Little Fisher
      Advice from NYC retouchers
      by Little Fisher
      Hello,

I have a few questions for any experienced New York City retouchers out there. (or anyone who has been working in a commercial big city environment.)

I'm about to change direction in my career and head towards retouching. I've been working in the commercial photo...
      12-18-2006, 10:55 AM
    • mcacioppo
      new here / any nyc pro. retouchers here?
      by mcacioppo
      hello
      i just signed up for this site, and was wondering if any working retouchers here are in the nyc area. im curious to hear what kind of buisness they do, if they freelance or are on staff or have their own studio... how competitive it is, etc. i currently have a 9-5 at a commercial photo...
      03-29-2005, 12:20 PM
    • qmuakuto
      Working on weekends and holidays?
      by qmuakuto
      Hi, i'm a junior retoucher, 1 year experience to be exact actually, full-time in a photography studio in Singapore. Seems to me, we retouchers actually do have to work through many nights, sometimes weekends, and even public holidays...when everyone else is out there celebrating the holidays and socializing....
      04-13-2009, 12:13 PM
    Working...
    X