X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eraanexact
    • May 2009

Question for studio retouchers

Have you guys ever worked as the sole retoucher for just one photographer (not one of the dinosaurs, but someone who is well represented, published in Vogue regularly)? And if so, how does it compare to a studio environment (multiple client roster,mix of ad and editorial jobs)? Do you burn out retouching the same photographers stuff day in and day out?
  • RobertGarcia
    • May 2011

Re: Question for studio retouchers

If your in a studio you might be junior doing the grunt work then the senior does the color and takes it to the finish. Usually retouchers that work for just one photographer don't do that in a studio but instead are private client and those retouchers handle the gig from start to finish. But that is just my limited experience and I am sure others will chime in. I personally think that everyone should be working on all levels like back in the old days or certain studios but that is just what I think. It feels as though you are being held down with that set up I outlined earlier and it's b.s.

Comment

• eraanexact
      • May 2009

Re: Question for studio retouchers

I've always worked at small boutique studios, certainly started out as a grunt, but that's not the case anymore. I have a few clients who prefer to work with me for the duration of the job, and they're great, but the majority of them are by and large more "safe" shooters, not a ton of experimenting, unfortunately.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• zganie
        Work
        by zganie
        I am Really Curious HOW many People actually MAKE a FULLTIME living from
        RETOUCHING or RESTORATION work

I Personally think a SMALL percentage actually do
        03-04-2011, 03:13 AM
      • antumbra
        What are they calling retouchers nowadays???
        by antumbra
        Hi everybody... I've been looking for work, and I tried using Monster and Career Builder... when you type in the word retoucher, you get nothing... Which leads me to believe that nowadays they are calling retouchers something else which I'm not aware of...

the only place where job ads...
        02-05-2011, 12:47 PM
      • Solstice
        Reps that lack a category for retouchers
        by Solstice
        I've noticed that reps don't represent retouchers. I should clarify, I have seen one that does, out of so many that don't include a category for retouchers. Why is that?

The categories I've seen are as follows:

photographers
        set designers
        stylists
        makeup...
        03-12-2011, 03:58 PM
      • Hamburger Image
        Types of retouchers
        by Hamburger Image
        Does anyone work for a retouching house? If so, how much do you make? I know it varies, I just would like YOUR feedback. I know in my region freelancers and houses range from 150-250/hr, but I'd like to know what the people within the houses make. Also, if you're a freelance, what do YOU typically charge...
        07-17-2008, 02:39 PM
      • Crystal Nguyen
        Question for Professional Hi-End Retouchers
        by Crystal Nguyen
        This is just a question for professional retouchers, the ones who have or are working in amazing studios or had their retouched photos in quite a few reputable ads, magazines, etc.

Where did the bulk of your learning come from? Whether it's some technique know-how, all the way to advanced...
        10-22-2012, 10:49 PM
      Working...
      X