Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retouch studios & freelancer rates

Hello all,

I've made a previous post that didn't get good feedback. I've returned with a more specific question. Here we go...

Retouch Studios. What are are the common hourly rates being paid to freelance retouchers working in these companies? From Juniors to Seniors. And if we can include information on New York standards then that is great! I've googled retouching studios in New York and see many showing up, for example; Gloss Studio, Pistol Studios, Box Studios, Versatile Studios, Q Studios, Stella Digital....and many more. Anyone know what they commonly pay freelancers??

Thanks!

Re: Retouch studios & freelancer rates

Ask the studios! They'll soon tell you if you're charging too much based on your experience. My guess based on salaried positions I've seen in NY recently would be in the range of $50 - $140ph. Stella actually have a freelance job advertised on their site so ask them what the salary range is.

Comment

Not Salary wages, freelance rates. I don't think any of the studios are paying in house freelancers $150/hr!!

Comment

Yes these are freelance rates as you asked for, $140/hr is reasonable for senior/head retoucher level, and thats just fashion. Creative retouching is higher again.

Stella last year had a senior salaried position listed for $150,000. By a conversion factor that seems to apply here in london, $140/ph is reasonable.

Anyway like I said, ask them directly if you want a definitive answer

Comment

Yes, Freelancer rates outside of studios can be very high. But typically once you're working in these studios they pay you much less, hourly, even if you're not staffed there as full time or part time. That's what I've understood from researching.

Comment

Well thats not true in my experience, these are studios rates. if they want to offer you a longer contracted position they may try to barter on price but then that not the typical rate.

Anyway if you're not that experienced, as I'm presuming, theyll only offer what they think you're worth so asking on here isnt going to get you an accurate figure. I dont think many studio owners are prowling on here so email them, say your looking for the range of rates that they pay as you dont want to undercut anyone but get a fair rate, and what they would pay you based on your experience and work quality.

Comment

Other opinions on this would be helpful mind you. Of course working as an independant freelancer you're doing the work to get clients directly and a lot more work goes into the business so yeah you have to charge more for those jobs.

Comment

Thanks. Any New York or U.S. people feel free to add in.

Comment

I'd say $35-65/hr is more likely if you're not a major player. Super senior people can get more, but for much grunt work figure around +/- $50/hr.

Comment

Thanks for your response Flashtones.

So for freelancers at Retouch Studios you'd say $35/hr-$65/hr (Juniors). Seniors maybe $65/hr-$85/hr?

Comment

shit I wish I made that kind of money, might not want to get out of the trade then.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulC7725 View Post
                        Thanks for your response Flashtones.

So for freelancers at Retouch Studios you'd say $35/hr-$65/hr (Juniors). Seniors maybe $65/hr-$85/hr?
                        Sounds accurate. Before I took a full time position, I averaged around $60/hr, sometimes more, depending on the studio and the work.

Comment