working with a printing company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• working with a printing company

I've been out of restoration for a few years, but want to get back into it.

Can a printing company reproduce color pretty well (assuming I am doing what they recommend on my end), or is this a waste of time? Does color management really work well enough to get within 5% of the original, or should I just buy a new printer and do the printing myself like I used to?

Printing always took a lot of time so I would rather have someone else do it. Money is not really an issue, I would readily pay $100 for a decent print that didn't look green or magenta.

I'm talking about one-off inkjet prints on matte paper, or the occasional 5-10 copies.

Re: working with a printing company

Printing has come a long way in a few years. And working with 3rd-parties will always be a pain. Just get a wide Epson if you can afford it.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

I searched for months and sent out test prints to a few possible printers. ended up using one in Canada, and although their color was spot on, they over-sharpened everything, so had to phone them and discuss with their production guy to not do that. After two conversations they finally got it right.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_7 View Post
        Can a printing company reproduce color pretty well (assuming I am doing what they recommend on my end), or is this a waste of time? Does color management really work well enough to get within 5% of the original, or should I just buy a new printer and do the printing myself like I used to?
        Very few outside labs have a clue about color management. It is hard to fine any that doesn't demand you send them (ugh) sRGB which is about the worst working space for output to a print, especially a modern ink jet.
        If you feel you'll make a decent number of prints over a year, get yourself something like an Epson 3880 which is now greatly reduced due to it's replacement (R800). With rebates, under a $1000 and the inks alone almost make up for the cost of the printer. If you think you'll like making your own prints (it isn't work or a drudge to do so), you'll likely produce a far better print than a lab can produce.

Comment

I'll just get a new printer (and possibly a better scanner) and try to make the best of it. Thanks.

Comment