X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anniversary....

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
    That doesn't matter. I can tell right away he is great,
    While that may be true and enough for you, I still appreciate seeing what was done compared to the original, not to judge the person, but to appreciate what was done, and why.

We can approach an image differently to achieve similar results. I like seeing what others have done so I can re-evaluate how I do things - it's about learning and getting better.

Some images take 30 seconds to fix - those are not really useful for learning - unless the technique used is off-the-wall to fix an off-the-wall problem. It's the more complicated, detailed changes, if revealed, that can enlighten and motivate.

Comment

I appreciate that you like to learn things by looking at portfolios, but that is not what portfolios are for, so I don't see the need to critique him over the fact.

Describing the approach, that definitely sounds like tutoring to me.

Again, he teaches, you can contact him directly.

Comment

Describing the approach, that definitely sounds like tutoring to me.

It is also a sound way to impart your expertise - to demonstrate what you can really do. A complete portfolio should have examples of what you began with and what you ended up with IMO.

For a photographer the end result is everything, but where they began is also important to reveal how they managed the situation. The same is true for retouching.

Did you have 2% input toward the final result or 30%?

Comment

If a person must see before/afters they can request them privately.

At the high end, the better a retoucher makes themselves look the worse they make the photographer look. "Look I can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse" looks good for the retoucher, less so for the photographer. People simply wont hire you if they think you'll exploit them for your benefit.

Shoku, that may or may not apply at the level of client you service, but I trust Jeff if he says it does for his.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashtones View Post
            Shoku, that may or may not apply at the level of client you service, but I trust Jeff if he says it does for his.
            We service many "high end" clients from a variety of industries. Many are not used in our advertising for the very reasons you state. And I agree with the reasons.

But that does not remove the advantage of showing before and after examples. Clients hire retouchers based on what they can do. When they see less-than-perfect turned into gold that gives them more confidence you can handle anything.

Anyone can polish a car, but can you also remove the rust when needed?

Comment

When you get to a certain point the reference becomes what sells your work.

Shoku,
              Out of curiosity, where did you get that portrait before after from and why do you think it's more impactfull then what Jeff has on show?

Comment

Shoku,
                Out of curiosity, where did you get that portrait before after from and why do you think it's more impactfull then what Jeff has on show?
                I never said that image had more impact than Jeff's images.

I posted it as an example of a before and after - an extreme example, but one that would never be realized without seeing the raw image.

The raw image was submitted by a client about five years ago and was included in a series of headshots for a marketing campaign. The end result was done in-house. Another image from the same series (although not as extreme) is in our online portfolio.

Comment

Shoku, I can understand your viewpoint. I am happy with where I am. And will continue not to show "before" images. I can't handle anymore work at the moment anyway! Please share a link to your online portfolio, I would love to se it.

Anyway, I must say, this thread has gone WAY off topic!

The experiment is complete, the student I took on, secured a full time job yesterday, in a well established Ad agency. I learned a lot. Mostly from my wife who is a secondary school teacher, The need for lesson planning and resources, is very important. All in all, a great exercise.
                  Last edited by ftp-Jeff; 05-16-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ftp-Jeff View Post
                    Shoku, I can understand your viewpoint. I am happy with where I am. And will continue not to show "before" images. I can't handle anymore work at the moment anyway! Please share a link to your online portfolio, I would love to se it.
                    Here is a link to our small before and after portfolio.

http://www.modernpostcard.com/sites/...ng/gallery.php

Only a small selection of our clients have agreed to appear in our advertising, while most do not prefer to see before and after images, which is understandable. The few who have allowed us to use their stuff come from a variety of disciplines. You can see a bit more in our video advertisements.

https://vimeo.com/modernpostcard

Comment

Thanks,

I think we promote ourselves to totally different types of client, hence the difference in type of work we show.

But it goes to show people how big the market is out there. There is always work out there for retouchers!
                      Last edited by ftp-Jeff; 05-16-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Jeff, you sound like a really interesting person with even more years in the business than me. I think you should write a book!

Comment

Hello Jerry, just saw this post! Small world eh? Hope all is well with you and Alix.

Comment

Thought it was probably you but wasn't 100% sure! Hope all's good with you and the family.

Comment