• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • giordy
    • Mar 2017

On-site retoucher duties

Hello everyone,

I'm a freelance retoucher, and I'd like to ask advice about the duties of a retoucher during a photoshoot.

I was asked by a client of mine to attend a photoshoot, and since I've only been working remotely so far, I have very little idea of what I'm expected to do/perform during that session.

For this client (it's a below-the-line advertising agency) I usually do a mix of product retouch and hair/beauty retouch, but mainly hair.

I don't know the photographer who's going to shoot.

The only thing I was told is that I would attend the photoshoot and be receiving instructions about the retouch and then I would finish the work at my studio, so I thought, for starter, that I would at least bring my own equipment (tablet & pc, but not the monitors).

Any (really, ANY) hint or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance
  • Shoku
    • Apr 2010

Re: On-site retoucher duties

Originally posted by giordy View Post
    Thank you very much in advance
    You should get more info from the Photographer before the shoot:

1. He probably wants to met the person who will be working on his stuff.

2. He may want input into how to shoot a particular scene so the retouching is less complicated for you.

3. He may want to see how you handle yourself and your reaction to his images.

4. He may want none of the above, so asking ahead of time would help pin down the reasons so you can be prepared.

Comment

• giordy
      • Mar 2017

@Shoku
      Thank you very much for the advice!

The problem is that everything is managed by the adv company so I have really no mean to contact the photographer and ask directly.
      Also, I'm not sure who asked for a retoucher to be present on set: the photographer? the adv company? the client?

But above all, my original question is relative more to the nitty gritty of working on-site: do I have just to follow the instructions ("develop these shots", "compose these two shots together", "remove that stuff")?
      Maybe check that the data that comes tethered from the camera is suitable for the final product and that all the data (especially for compositing work, like clean background or soloed objects) is provided?
      Also, give suggestions during the photoshoot so that the final retouch work is facilitated?

I'm also interested in understanding how the time is spent one set overall:
      What is your personal experience? What happened and what did you do the last time you were on set?

Thank you!

Comment

• Shoku
        • Apr 2010

I'm also interested in understanding how the time is spent one set overall: What is your personal experience? What happened and what did you do the last time you were on set?
        Thank you!
        Every Photographer is different, most I have worked with consult after the shoot is over. However, a few have asked me into the studio, and the key to success in those cases was to respond, rather than impose. I am also a Commercial Photographer (since 1985), and in a situation where another is in charge, it's best to allow them their space for creative purposes, and offer advice when asked - unless unsolicited suggestions are understood to be acceptable before things begin.

If the Photographer wants you there he has a reason, which is why communication upfront is important so everyone understands their role in the process. If the marketing firm wants you there, they have most likely told the Photographer before hand, but if they have not, stay in the background until you are called on. IF you are there at the request of the marketing firm, ask them why.

Comment

• giordy
          • Mar 2017

Thank you for your thorough response, I really appreciate it.
          I'll ask the marketing firm then.

Comment

• courage
            • Feb 2009

Thank you for your thorough response, I really appreciate it.
            I'll ask the marketing firm then.
            ... so what took place? 1 year later

Comment