Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who should I talk to?

Hey! first time poster here!

I've been retouching and shooting still life and product for a couple years. I've got the portfolio best as I can right now, work has been sparse, but I've got a day job editing eCommerce stuff. I'm trying to break into the agency gigs as a junior, and I'm looking for the most impactful connections. I get that it'll depend on the person's connection to the organization more than anything, but for example, should I be targeting the senior level retouchers, or the stylists, or the other juniors, or hell, HR? Or should I just spray and pray, and just connect with whoever will listen? I'm looking to make a move soon, and I want to move quickly on this.

Re: who should I talk to?

You can call just about anybody at an agency and ask for an "informational interview". But make it count. It's a courtesy, so don't abuse it. Bring your A-material (and make sure it's relevant to them). I'd suggest the Art Director or lead photographer.

Ask a ton of questions, and don't be shy about promoting yourself (only don't make that the majority of the interview). Leave a resume with a link to your online portfolio (it doesn't need to be public, and any larger agency won't steal your work).
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Re: who should I talk to?

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
      You can call just about anybody at an agency and ask for an "informational interview". But make it count. It's a courtesy, so don't abuse it. Bring your A-material (and make sure it's relevant to them). I'd suggest the Art Director or lead photographer.

Ask a ton of questions, and don't be shy about promoting yourself (only don't make that the majority of the interview). Leave a resume with a link to your online portfolio (it doesn't need to be public, and any larger agency won't steal your work).
      This is really sound advice, and I can't thank you enough for it! I've had a list of questions in mind but I'm going to really flesh them out today. Thanks!

Comment