• DJ Dubovsky
    replied
    Good idea, thanks Ed.
    DJ

Leave a comment:

• Ed_L
    replied
    Mornin' Debbie,

I've always been told that if you advertise in the paper, you get better results if you keep a small ad going in the same place every day rather than larger ads placed less frequently. People tend to notice the small ad, and they might not be interested in your services at any given time. But when they are ready, they will probably remember how to find you. I don't know if the cost would be worth the return you get, but you might be able to negotiate a better rate with some of the papers. If you do decide to put an ad in the paper, you might consider mentioning that personal instruction in Photoshop is available as well as the restorations themselves. Just a thought. A few lessons could pay for a lot of ads.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• DJ Dubovsky
    replied
    Ed,
    Actually with all our computer problems of late I didn't want to advertise anymore than I was because I didn't know how soon I would be up and running and didn't want to make promises I couldn't keep. Now things are back to normal with a few nice upgrades and I can start looking at taking on more work.

Thanks Rick
    I was sorry things didn't work out with the tutoring and who knows, they may call sometime in the future. I can't say. Actully with the holidays and a few other things going on I was busy and this wasn't the best time but if they were going to go with it I would have worked something out with them. I had even outlined a lesson plan from various books and CDs I had so I was thinking in that direction. Once I had gotten started I figured I would get a better idea of how much would be taken in in one hours time and go from there.
    DJ

Leave a comment:

• Rick
    replied
    DJ:

Don't feel bad, I've had a few of those disappointments as well.

But having a few "one hour" courses prepared would probably be good for you anyway. I'm going over and over on how to explain how to use shadowing techniques and some of the basic commands and short-cut keys.
    Each time I do so, I find myself explaining things better and better and find out how I repeat myself, or try to figure out the best way to explain things.

Rick

Leave a comment:

• Ed_L
    replied
    Sorry to hear about that Debbie. I thought that could be a good opportunity for you. Have you thought about advertising in the newspaper?

Ed

Leave a comment:

• DJ Dubovsky
    replied
    Well, I had a meeting set up for that Monday morning and about an hour before it, they called to ask for a postponement. I never heard from them again. I was a bit disappointed but that's life. I actually didn't respond to the thread because for awhile I thought they really would call me back. Then I just forgot about it. Sorry about that guys. Would have been a nice opportunity but that's life.
    DJ

Leave a comment:

• paulette conlan
    replied
    I just came across this thread and am wondering if you took the job. To put fees in perspective, just look at how much the golf and tennis pros get down here in Fl. for lessons and they don't require any preparation time either like you'll have.I think what's interesting about your tutoring situation is that you'll be focusing on the specific area of PS that's your expertise.Incidentally, have you looked into the Photography Center in Delray to see what they charge for their classes.And for what it's worth, the community college here in Martin County charges $125 for their 3 credit PS course. It runs 15 session-2 1/2 hours a session.
    Paulette

Leave a comment:

• Ed_L
    replied
    Debbie,

Just wondering how everything went for you. Did you get the job, and if so, how's everything working out?

Ed

Leave a comment:

• DJ Dubovsky
    replied
    I like your thinking Tom. That's a fantastic idea. Try various levels of restoration and walk her through each. Kind of build on each level as we go.
    I will definately keep you all informed. That's if all goes well and I get the position.
    DJ

Leave a comment:

• thomasgeorge
    replied
    Perhaps if your potential pupil has access to photos which need restoring, you could have her pick some out and begin by walking her through a basic restore--tone,color correction--that sort of thing. Sounds like fun--keep us posted on what you learn about the traditional methods--The current thinking among collectors and conservators of old photos is leaning towards doing as little as possible to the originals other than proper storage and using copys for display. Tom

Leave a comment:

• DJ Dubovsky
    replied
    I think so too, which is why I think this will be fun. It's like showing a kid a new toy and watching their eyes light up. But for me too it will be something new and exciting. I'm working on an outline and checking out my books. So far the only books I have on 6 are Katrins and Kelbys quick tips. I do have that set of CDs which offer a good lesson in 6's new features plus it has the photos on the CD's to work with. Lots to do here before Monday. It would be nice to give them a run down on how I would go about it if I'm going to give them a price.
    DJ

Leave a comment:

• Ed_L
    replied
    This should be an excellent learning experience for both of you. Since she is already into restoration, she will know exactly what she wants to do. I think she'll find it a lot easier to do many fixes digitally.

Ed

Leave a comment:

• DJ Dubovsky
    replied
    Both of your suggestions are excellent ideas. I did print out a lesson plan from an online site as a guide and was thinking about which books would be good to use. I like the idea of a CD of photos to work with also. Being that she would be the first, she can also be a test case in how much is too much or little and we can kind of feel things out along the way. I thought if I could get her through the basic tools and features, I could then take her through Katrin's book and she should have a pretty good start on digital restoration.

Here's the scoop, she is actually a traditional restorer and is trying to get into digital. (I'm teaching the competition here) She has Photoshop and needs to learn the ins and outs to continue in her profession. I think this is a perfect example of what Photoshop is doing to the traditional aspect of photo restoration. I'm sure they are coming to the point that they can't compete with the prices for digital restoration. I actually look forward to what I can learn from her about her method of restoration. I am curious on it's limitations and what all is involved.

Since she is in the restoration business to begin with, I believe all she will need are the basics and some good techniques to really get her started since the artistic abilities and knowing what makes up a good photo will already be there. Her spouse is a pro Photographer and wants her to do his restorations. If things work out, I could see an oportunity as a future bussines connection for me also, if I don't price myself out of the job before I begin. That's one of my concerns on the price situation.
    DJ

Leave a comment:

• thomasgeorge
    replied
    If you have access to a CD burner, you could assemble lesson photos on CD for your pupil to open and work on. Just a passing thought...Tom

Leave a comment: