Grades Of Repair Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grades Of Repair Work

I've gather the estimates/grades of repair work from many photo repair sites over the net.

Would you agree that this is pretty much a standard. Can restoration be broken down into these 3 basic grades?
    -

Grade 1

Minor fading
    Slightly discolored
    Light specs of mold damage
    Hair-line fissures

Grade 2

Heavy scratch marks
    Facial area corrections
    Multiple paper wrinkles
    Moderate specs of mold damage

Grade 3

Large areas missing or damaged
    Large areas of face or body missing
    Significant mold damage
    Siginificant scratch marks
    Yes, 3 Stages Is Pretty Much Accurate
    13.04%
    Maybe 1 More Stage Would Be Accurate
    34.78%
    Maybe 1 Less Stage Would Be Accurate
    0.00%
    No, Each Job Is Very Unique
    52.17%

Three seems to be adequate without being overly complex but I have to look at every job before I estimate it.
    Chip

Comment

Thanks Chip and others for your responses.

I'm trying to clarify the justification of pricing for various levels of expertise required for different levels of restoration work.

Comment

I do the three tier grade system as well, but it's actually a replacement of my former per-hour system.

I more or less determine what grade the photo is in by how long I believe it would take me to complete it instead of what is wrong with it. I apply that to both restoration and alteration-- # of estimated hours is what determines the grade.

1-2 hours is grade 1.
        3-4 hours is grade 2.
        5+ hours is grade 3.

I still offer the hourly rate for people who prefer that, and it's much better now that I've gone from $8.50/hr to $25/hr. :P

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• RooB
          Restoration vs Re-Interpretation
          by RooB
          Restoration vs Re-Interpretation

Does anyone here see a different between the two?

When a photo is damaged, is there two different classes of repair and savior for the photo?

For instance.....

If you're repairing cracks and holes in a photo...
          02-17-2011, 05:18 AM
        • Loverly
          Restoration: Loverly Needs Advice AGAIN
          by Loverly
          Hi all,
          I have here 4 of 6 photos from a photographer who's friend wants these photos restored of his store. Being that I have only done 3 restorations all of which you have seen on this site and know now much time it takes to do them right I want to charge an arm and a leg to restore these
          09-19-2005, 09:08 PM
        • Doug Nelson
          photo repair (not restoration)
          by Doug Nelson
          I get about an email a month asking for actual physical repair of a photo. I'd no idea there was actually an industry for this until Jim Conway posted.

So, let's discuss. Who's doing it? How's it done? What educational resources are there out there?
          11-20-2001, 01:20 PM
        • Mona
          How to quote restoration job
          by Mona
          Hello,

I received an order for restoration work that involves one photo divided into three sections. The end product needs to be in three sections as well. All three sections have heavy water damage on the sides including the side that would match up to the other pieces. My question...
          04-04-2004, 07:25 PM
        • thomasgeorge
          Graduated Pricing Scale
          by thomasgeorge
          When a customer brings in a photo for retouch/restore, does anyone use a Graduated Pricing Scale? By this I mean that you give the customer of choice of how much is done to the photo and price according to the complexity of the option selected, or, do you have just one price for a total restore/retouch,...
          03-23-2002, 07:56 AM
        Working...
        X