X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thomasgeorge
    • Aug 2001

What type of Paper

What is your favorite type of paper for prints and why? With a whole bunch of different varieties from many different manufacturers, it could take a long time and a lot of bucks to try them all, so, who uses what and why? I use Epson Heavyweight Matte for about 98% of all my printing...it resists fading, abrasion and ink does not soak thru causing paper wrinkling, plus the colors dont seem to shift as with the glossy types. Tom
  • Doug Nelson
    Janitor
    Patron
    • Aug 2001

I also use the Epson Heavyweight Matte. I like the look, the feel, and it has a good storage reputation.

However, that doesn't mean I don't occasionally get a little curious, particularly when I read about some of the more exotic setups used by some of the members of mailing lists I subscribe to. I put some of the better resource links over in the suppliers section of our new links database.

Perhaps as restorers we're actually being limited. In "restoring", normalcy or plain-ness in paper choice is perhaps preferred. I doubt anyone would appreciate that Uncle Jethro's restored portrait was printed on ivory Bavarian rag or Japanese rice paper. Quite the opposite, probably.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

• chris h
      • Aug 2001

I mainly use a brand called Ilford in a fairly heavy 230 gram quality. My printer will just about cope with it. My brother unearthed a case full of HP LX Glossy looks about 100gram which came from an office storeroom. Nice stuff I mainly use it for tests before using more expensive papers.

I've done some copy stuff for watercolour painters using various Hahnemule papers which reproduce very well for graphical stuff.

Comment