http://www.retouchthis.info/
    To group critique. This kind soul decided to send me this email:

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:40:35 -0500 [01/24/07 19:40:35 EST]
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Your retouching...

You¹ve got a long way to go chief... The model/fashion part on your site is
    something else! Most of them are so over brushed that they look like wax
    dummies.

Please feel free to drop him an email or two. His stuff looks pretty good, but it too is a little over airbrushed. We all know that my clients request such a look, but to send someone an email like the one above is just a bit mean at heart. Granted, I'm being mean as well. I just feel he should have a critique of his own. Keep it honest and fair, but let him know he has room to improve as we all do.

Re: Unsolicitated Critique

Well, his bedside manner leaves something to be desired. There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance....sheesh.

Comment

Took me a long time to pick away the positive parts of a critique, no matter how harsh and allow the other stuff to float away. We all have lessons to learn and lessons to share. Critique to the point of near attack is most often attributed to insecurity on the part of the advice giver. Peace.....

Chris

Comment

grafx, I have always admired your work and your contributions to this forum.
        I can see why you're pixxed off, but I can't agree with a tactic of lowering yourself to his level.
        It's HE who has a problem, not you - so don't share it with him.

Comment

He's that successful in the retouching world, that he uses a free hotmail account for contact
          Can anybody else think of a high profile fashion retoucher who uses hotmail?

Think he needs a lesson in looking professional, rather than just thinking he is.

Comment

Something like this just goes to show that you can please some of the people some of the time and some of the people not at all.

If everyone in this world was exactly alike, then we would have no diversity. Diversity makes life. Life is not boring. Shrug it off and chalk it up to his personal diversity. Just be glad it isn't yours and that you are the bigger soul of the two.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by byRo
              grafx, I have always admired your work and your contributions to this forum.
              I can see why you're pixxed off, but I can't agree with a tactic of lowering yourself to his level.
              It's HE who has a problem, not you - so don't share it with him.

I actually responded back, by thanking him for his thoughtful critique and telling him to "stay tuned" since the samples on my site are over two years old and I'm currently working on an update. I also went as far to ask him if he would like to see samples of my current work, what style and age group would he like to see.

Comment

A nice consise snarky retort is always nice also.
                "That is my latest work for the West Palm Beach Wax Museum. I'm happy with the work, but they keep saying, "More wax, dammit!!!. We're paying you for wax!" Nothing pleases these people."

"I loved your latest album, Mr. Tyler. But I always liked the Stones better." Dream on.

"Chief??? Don't call me Chief, buddy!!! That's Ms. Chief to you."

Wax off.

Comment

Originally posted by joey florio
                  A nice consise snarky retort is always nice also.
                  "That is my latest work for the West Palm Beach Wax Museum. I'm happy with the work, but they keep saying, "More wax, dammit!!!. We're paying you for wax!" Nothing pleases these people."

"I loved your latest album, Mr. Tyler. But I always liked the Stones better." Dream on.

"Chief??? Don't call me Chief, buddy!!! That's Ms. Chief to you."

Wax off.
                  First off "snarky"! LOL My new word for the day, all week it has been persnickidy (sp?)
                  Second "Wax off"! ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Comment

Because of the anonymous nature of the net, people feel they can criticize, belittle, mock or bully at will. You see it everyday..try and blow it off as means spirited people doing what they need to do to feel adequate..
                    What goes around comes around.

Lasa

Comment

Originally posted by Lasa
                      Because of the anonymous nature of the net, people feel they can criticize, belittle, mock or bully at will. You see it everyday..try and blow it off as means spirited people doing what they need to do to feel adequate..
                      What goes around comes around.

Lasa
                      It's amazing how many people actually think the net is anonymous, when in fact it is quite the opposite. With very little know-how, you can track people down in a matter of min's. That's when it comes round to bite them on the butt.
                      Most people who use an ID, Email or any other form of regular name on the net, can be traced using simple tools like Google and public records. Or their are methods to trace people via info left by their PC, and software that can track their activity. I must admit I've had some great fun with people coming on to a forum (not RP), who start flaming/spamming it. They soon shut up when you send them an Email, giving their home address and phone number etc. The net is neither a secure or anonymous place to start silly games, but there will always be people who will try. Treat them as a joke, because that is exactly what they are.

Comment

Daaaaaaaang Chris....

Ah'm Skeerd-a-You!!

Comment

Nothing to be scared of m8, I only act in extreme circumstances.
                          The best example I can give was when a member of staff from a VERY large retail group in the UK (Dixons Store Group LTD), tried messing me about (tried messing up my site etc). This was done after a advised people on a faulty product they sold, and got 1000's of people to go in and get refunds. He left behind his IP and computer details in my site logs. That gave the rough location of the shop, and gave me an IP to look out for. With a little bit of software on my site, I set it up to gather info from the computer he was using, then lock him out of his PC. I then got his network login details, staff member name and number, what PC he was on in the shop, and the address of the shop. Sent all this info off (plus logs of activity) to the company HQ, Network admins and directors. Didn't take long for them to stop him.

I personally hate people who willingly damage another PC with what they know, when they could use their knowledge for good things. I have never done harm to another, but have traced people and let them know that they can be held responsible for their actions. Example of a flamer on another forum, was one that was doing it while on holiday. He was using the hotel internet Cafe to flame members. I traced him to the Hotel, then tracked down his home details. He shut up the second I gave him his home location and told him the name of the hotel he was in.
                          It isn't always easy, as some of the main hackers etc know all the tricks, and can hide themselves away behind other PC's. But the main culprits are usually not so clever, and give away more info than they realise

PS: You can find my location in a matter of seconds with google, but I have nothing to hide .

Comment

Dude, I am SO in awe right now....
                            Seriously. I mean, it's not that I thought that was not possible or anything, but that is just awesome.

ChrisHoggy, using his powers to fight the forces of evil, in forums across the world!!

hehehe

Comment

The packard Bell support forum (I'm there quite a bit) gets more flamers and fools than any other forum I've seen. It is quite amusing to see them curl up in a corner when they know you are on to them.
                              There will always be people who need teaching a lesson. Some see sense without intervention, where as others just need to be shown the error of their ways
                              Easiest way to get their info is to say "Is this a photo of you?" and link to an image on your site. As soon as they click it, you have all their system info and IP address in your site logs Simple trick, but they can't stop themselves clicking on the link to see what it is .

Comment