Help with terminology please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with terminology please

I’m beginning to rebuild my portfolio website (which I shall submit for your ruthless criticism in due course). Apart from the challenges of teaching myself Flash, I’ve encountered another problem – I don’t exactly know how to describe my work.

In the past, I’ve loosely referred to my work as “enhancement and retouching” of photos, without really elaborating. I’d like to explain it a bit better, so I need clarification of these terms.

In my mind, “Enhancement” refers to general contrast, exposure and colour corrections – ie, improving on the original photo.

Whereas I took “Retouching” to refer to changing a photo in some way – most commonly improving skin flaws, for example. Obviously, I would “enhance” a photo first, before moving on to “retouching” it.

Really major work would perhaps be referred to as “Compositing”, where two or more photos are combined, etc.

Can anyone tell me if they agree with my definitions? Is there actually a standard for this? Dictionary.com seemed to agree with me (hard to tell), and Wikipedia wasn’t much help at all.

Re: Help with terminology please

When I talk to portrait customers, we always "enhance" the image, "retouching" implies that there is something wrong with either them or our photography.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• modelmeg2003
      Attention all photogs! Please help!
      by modelmeg2003
      Hey guys! Not sure if this is the right forum to post this...sorry if it isn't and feel free to move it.

Anyway, basically, I need photos to retouch. NOT stock photos. I'm trying to get into freelance retouching because I love to do it (and I desperately need money). I can only work from...
      09-30-2008, 02:34 AM
    • sskelsey
      Please Help (Retouching assistance)
      by sskelsey
      Hello Everyone,

I have been out of the retouch game for quite a while (10 yrs or so) and would love any advice you guys can offer me on how to get back in the game.

For example I am slowly but surely trying to make a list of things that need to be done or should be done...
      04-16-2018, 12:05 AM
    • vision100
      Please help me with retouching
      by vision100
      Hi,
      I tried to take my photo (test_b) as possibly same as the other photo (test_a). I also tried it looks same as for the color tones, but I couldn't do it. I will be more than happy if someone would help and have a look at it and if that someone would find out how to solve it, to write me the...
      04-09-2007, 11:09 AM
    • emarts
      What constitutes a photo manipulation?
      by emarts
      Hello,

I've been recently asked to moderate an online art community. One of the tasks I am dealing with is to define the difference between a photograph and a manipulation. Of course, obvious manipulation is easy to define, but what about subtle manipulation where it's not so easily detectable....
      11-08-2005, 09:11 AM
    • frostpuppet
      Sports retouching
      by frostpuppet
      Hey everyone. Ive been around on the forums for a while and my focus is normally on fashion retouching like many on here. The reason i am posting is that someone recently asked me if i could retouch a boxing picture of them as a favor. I said no problem because it was his boxing debut and have never...
      02-17-2010, 01:51 PM
    Working...
    X