Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Restoration/Retouching Business

Hello everyone,

I have been hanging out here for a week or so and came across some great people. The experience level here is amazing. I recently started my own restoration/retouching business called Past Becomes Present. My website is http://www.pastbecomespresent.com. I built the website using Godaddy's web builder. My html is limited so the site is basic at the moment and somewhat constrained by the builder.

I would love to hear your advise regarding the page or starting a new R/R business in general. Right now I am building my portfolio, networking, and volunteering for charity. I have had one client so far and I am talking with another at the moment so I feel that is a great start considering the business just turned 3 weeks old today and I am doing all this while on deployment to Afghanistan. Anyways, any suggestions you have are much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Richard

Re: New Restoration/Retouching Business

Welcome Richard! It's inspiring to hear about what you're doing from so far away and your can-do attitude is encouraging.

The site design looks decent enough for using a generic design tool. My main concern is in your before and after examples. Navigation of the arcade-game style examples is difficult and I'm not sure which is "before" and which "after" (they seem to be in reverse order? In which case you'll want to keep honing your retouching skills).

Comment

plugsnpixels,

Befores are on the left and the afters are on the right. After doing research on the web, this seemed to be the common format for displaying restorations. Can you clarify on the "arcade-game style examples"? Are you referring to the examples on the home page or the gallery on the photos page? Thank you for your input.

Comment

Yes, that is the expected order. Applying that to the film strip on the main page, the "afters" are mostly too dark (jeep, balloons, jets, buffalo, kid in window especially).

Proceeding to the Photo Gallery, I felt as if I had to "catch" the images as they went by, and they didn't really get much bigger. And at the moment (as you can see in my screenshot), they stopped displaying altogether (OSX latest, Safari). I would personally prefer a contact sheet layout with popup larger versions.
        Attached Files

Comment

plugsnpixels,

I really appreciate the feedback. I will take a look and see what I can do with the site and reexamine those images.

Thanks,
          Richard

Comment

Glad to help!

Comment

Working...
            X