Arrrrrrgh!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrrrrrgh!

I've been having a problem getting my scanner to associate (?) with the new software for Windows XP. Windows kept telling me that the software was not compatible with XP, and if I installed it I could have problems. I did not install it, but it was on my system. I've been having all kinds of problems, and today my computer froze up so badly that I couldn't even turn it off manually! I had to pull the plug. So I decided to revert my hard drive. All of a sudden, I am able to scan an image for the first time since getting the new computer, although I don't have any control over it (and it isn't good). But I think that's something I can get help on from the scanner forum. Here's the big thing -- I've lost all of my e-mail addresses, and e-mails that I've received recently. So if I should have your e-mail address, please send it to me again. Now you know why I haven't been around much.

Ed

What type of scanner and system specs do you have? I'm running XP Pro and an Epson scanner and haven't had a single glitch. I know XP has had some difficulty with Via chipsets and that may be a consideration!

Randy

Comment

Is this your new machine Ed ?

Comment

Yes, this is my new computer. It seems as though the problems began when I downloaded the new driver for the scanner. My scanner is an Acer 1240UT. The new driver has a different look than the old one, and I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. I've only tried to scan a photo one time, and it worked although it didn't show me the new driver (from Acer) interface, which I rarely used anyhow. I use Vuescan, and I'm trying to get it installed. If anyone here is familiar with Vuescan, here's what I have now. I have the newest version, and I have two folders. One of the folders is under Windows\prefetch, and I have a file by the name of Vuescan.exe-3678AA03.pf. Since I'm pretty much computer illiterate, I don't want to try to install the file until I get confirmation that's the right one. I also have 5 other .exe files in the C:\Vuescan directory. Can I feel safe in installing the .pf file I referred to above? Or is that even possible?

Ed

Comment

Ed,

The prefetch executable is not an installation file! If you have autorun disabled through XP try opening up the installation CD and there should be a folder that is named Vuescan or something similar. In that folder you should find the Setup executeable. Double click that icon and you should be on your way. The autorun icon is not useable if it is not initiated from placement in the CD. Therefore if you click that icon, you will get an install menu, yet the function buttons will not do anything. Nifty little catch 22 that they have built in!

I would also uninstall the previous versions of your drivers and striclty use the new ones as they are most likely more XP friendly!

Hope some of this was a help!

Randy

Comment

Thanks Randy. I don't have a CD as I had to download the new version from the web. I do have a C:\Vuescan folder. I'll see if there's a setup file in it. We have company coming in about 15 minutes, so it'll havew to wait till later. I'll let you know the results.

Ed

Comment

Everything's cool now! ???? We had company most of the day, and my son in law is pretty good with computers. He got Vuescan running, and it actually works! This is my first chance to try things out since he installed it, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If you don't hear from me tomorrow ------well...........

Ed

Comment

Good for you Ed. Glad to hear things are up and running smooth now. It sure is nice to have a computer geek in the family at times like that. Keep us in touch with your progress.
                DJ

Comment

Ed,
                  just one little thing that might help you. If your computer freezes up again.Before pulling the power plug out try holding the on/off button down for 10 seconds, that usually works turn the computer off.

Comment

Thanks Sandra. If I have that problem again, I'll give it a try.

Ed

Comment

Lost Email and Addresses

XP's support web site tells you step-by-step how to recover your previous email messages and addresses....

Recovering Email and Addresses

Hope this helps!

-T
                      Last edited by T Paul; 01-21-2002, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Wow - great tip T!! I would have freaked out if I thought I'd lost my mail folders and/or couldn't access them! -Jeanie

Comment

'Export' your address books and message folders onto a CDr or floppy only takes seconds with Outlook or IE 5 or 6 or most other progs.

Comment

Chris - I do back up my mail folders to CD regularly! (Some people write in a journal - I just save my e-mail, as it's a pretty good record of my life on any given day. ) I just didn't realize that there might be "problems" transporting them over to XP. I suppose I've done this when upgrading to Outlook Express 5 & 5.5, but never realized it. -Jeanie

Comment

J,

Understood, obviously if you do a 'clean' install its the only way to go. I've battled in the past to re-install address and favourite lists but this last time with XP they were installed first time. Damn near fainted with surprise !!

I can see in a few years we won't be reading published diaries but peoples 'collected e-mails'

Comment

Working...
                              X