X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ed_L
    • Aug 2001

Gardening?

Yessir, spring's on the way. My wife started some flower seeds in the basement this morning, and about an hour ago we received a seed order from R. H. Shumway's. We ordered some hard to find seeds from them that we couldn't find in other places. They threw in 5 experimental packs of seeds labeled "early bird garden". Tomato, cucumber, bush bean, sweet corn, and peas were included free of charge. When I saw the early tomato seeds I thought of Tom because he has such a short growing season. Can't wait!!

Ed
  • d_kendal
    • Feb 2002

here (in Canada) nobodys even thinking of gardening yet. its still snowing here

- David

Comment

• Doug Nelson
      Janitor
      Patron
      • Aug 2001

Spring fever has infected me early, this year. It was actually what gave me the idea for the "Green" Gallery Challenge, and that was two months ago.

I'll get in my normal boring batch of tomatoes, peppers, carrots, etc. Last year I started planting flowers for the first time in years, even a rose bush (and I know zip about roses).

Speaking of my poor, doomed roses, what's the procedure for trimming their canes? When, why, how much, etc. I didn't trim them yet. Did I miss my chance?
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

• thomasgeorge
        • Aug 2001

The only growing we are doing is icicle farming...and a poor crop it is. Driving down the road you raise a cloud of dust even though the ground is frozen. Probably wait a couple of weeks before planting the Watermelons.....Tom

Comment

• DJ Dubovsky
          • Aug 2001

Our growing season is coming to an end now. It's too hot to grow things in the summer. The sun would fry them. My grapefruit and lemon trees are so full I don't know what to do about all the fruit.
          DJ

Comment

• Sam
            • Oct 2001

Make gallons of squash with them!! I have an excellent (and dead easy) recipe if you need one!

Comment

• thomasgeorge
              • Aug 2001

Dj, Package 'em up and sell the to North Dakota, just tell'em they're Oranges and double the price...they'll never notice a thing...Tom

Comment

• CJ Swartz
                • Sep 2001

Doug,
                I'm no gardener, but the Phoenix area has a really good "Gardener Guy" on TV with a website.

"Prune roses when they are dormant, usually January or February" (for central Arizona)

his website has some tips on pruning:

Comment

• DJ Dubovsky
                  • Aug 2001

Sam
                  I'm not sure what squash is but heck, I'll give it a try. E-mail it to me.

Tom
                  Funny you should say that, the lemons look just like oranges. You may have something there.
                  DJ

Comment

• Sam
                    • Oct 2001

Squash = cordial. Sorry, don't know what you Americans call it!!!

I'll just post it here if that's okay - then others can try it out too.

Finely grate & squeeze 6 lemons. Put the grated rind and juice in a mixing bowl and add 2 1/2 pints of boiling water + 2 oz. Citric acid + 2 lb white sugar. Stir well until all the sugar's dissolved. Leave overnight. Dilute to taste!

This is a very refreshing drink.

Comment

• Doug Nelson
                      Janitor
                      Patron
                      • Aug 2001

My roses finally bloomed. An amazing feat, considering I ignored them completely. I've still got my cold, so I've no idea how they smell. But the weird thing is that I bought "peace roses", which are supposed to be a kind of peachy color, and these are unrepentantly yellow. I wuz robbed! But they are pretty.
                      Learn by teaching
                      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

• rondon
                        • Mar 2002

I have little luck with much ...with the the banty's that run loose here...... with the exceptions of roses..
                        I ran into an old guy who once told me that they will grow anywhere (shade sun etc.) if you plant them deep enough in rich soil.....
                        his way which worked for me was to dig a two foot deep hole .. as well as wide ... make it like a crater... bury the rose 6 inches or so below where the ground level of the plant is now.... and over time keep filling the hole in... larger root system..
                        worked fine here..... Now if we could only grow lilacs and fiddleheads down here..
                        oh think I heard that this is also good for deep freezes ( speaking only of the southern areas) as the roots have more protection.

Comment

• Ed_L
                          • Aug 2001

RonDon,

It seems that each area has it's own pluses and minuses. Here's another one you can't grow.

Ed
                          Attached Files

Comment

• rondon
                            • Mar 2002

that is one big flower alright ed..

Comment

• DJ Dubovsky
                              • Aug 2001

I haven't seen a Peony in years. That is so pretty. You must have a very green thumb Ed.
                              DJ

Comment