Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrorist attack in Flora's city of Milan Italy

Hi Flora
    I just heard about the terrible terrorist attack on your city of Milan and I am so sorry. There was official notice that the Piper plane that flew into the tallest building there was in fact a terrorist attack. I hope you and your family and friends are all unharmed. It gets more frightening when you realize there are people you know there. It makes it feel like it's closer to home since we know you. Take care of yourselves and let us know you are doing ok.
    DJ

DJ,

I just caught that on the news. Its been confirmed as a terrorist attack has it ?

Comment

There was reports that the pilot was having mechanical problems with the airplane and had transmitted a help distress call.

Hard to say if it was a accident or a terrorist attack at this point. I am sure they will be looking closely at both possibilities, lets hope it was an accident.

Carl

Comment

Fox News this morning had confirmed that the president of Italy had said it was a terrorist attack. That report was only 20 minutes after the incident. I heard the report about a distress call being made later on in the day also so things appear to still be a bit confused there.
        CNN is currently reporting that Italian officials are now saying it's not a terrorist attack but an accident. So I gather they retracted their first impression. I think that statement was arrived at originally because of the huge amount of damage and explosion that occured. I am glad that they do not have to fear further attacks even though the accident is so grave it's still a better situation then an attack. We send our best wishes to the people of Milan.
        DJ

Comment

thats awful!! I hadn't checked any news sites yet today so this is the first I've heard of this. Flora - hope you're ok, this has got to be a horrible shock, whether it's an accident or not. I just checked on http://www.cnn.com and so far they're saying it's an accident and that witnesses saw flames coming out of the plane before it hit.

- David

Comment

This is the first I heard about it. We had the local news on, and I didn't hear a thing about a terrorist attack (or any mention of an accident). If it had been a terrorist attack, I think it would have been broadcast. Either way, our thoughts are with the people affected by it. We know too well how lives can be changed by something like that.

Ed

Comment

Hi DJ and to you all...

I saw this thread only now, and I wanted to thank you and everybody for your interest and worry...
              My family and everybody I know is ok, but it has been a terrible shock...

The immense tragedy of the 11th of September has deeply marked the world.... and the fear of terrorist attacks remains a constant, just below the surface of "normality" that everybody needs to go on living.

As terrorism was excluded from what happened here in Milan,
              everybody here wanted to think to a terrible accident, unfortunately, the disclosure of the communication between the pilot and the control tower of Linate airport, (there was a slight problem with the landing gear and he didn't sound overly worried about it), the fact that, in spite of instructions received, the pilot decided to fly incredibly low over the town, the fact that here in Milan there is only "the" one skyscraper (30 floors "only"), and other information about the pilot's financial situation, point to what has been described as "a spectacular, tragic suicide"..... Nothing has been confirmed yet...so everybody here, but particularly the families of the victims, wait to know why their dear ones had to die.....

DJ and everybody, let me tell you I was moved by your worrying about me...we have never met and, probably, never will...but I feel I have very good friends here....and I thank you all for it.

Ciao, ciao....

Flora.

Comment

We're all glad things are okay with you and your loved ones. We are kind of like a family away from home, and we tend to be concerned when something happens to one of the others.

Ed

Comment

I couldn't have said it any better than Ed just did.
                  DJ

Comment

Hi Ed, DJ,
                    We are kind of like a family away from home...
                    .....you certainly are.... you certainly made me feel it....and I am really happy to be part of it.

Thanks again.

Ciao, ciao...

Flora

Comment

Flora - I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't really been following this story too closely. (After it was determined that it wasn't terrorist related, the news media seemed to drop the story over here.) I've just been doing a little reading on the web and it seems that there are still so many questions surrounding what happened. I'm so sorry that you've had to experience something like this so close to home. Of course, I'm glad that you and your family are safe, but please know that my thoughts are with you as you work through the shock of this horrible tragedy.

Jeanie

Comment

Hi Jeanie,
                        don't feel embarrassed....I would have reacted exactly like you....
                        Sometimes, listening or watching the news, which administers our daily overdose of violence and tragedy, makes me wish to dispose of a "rewind" button with all the options to change the facts or, better still, to dispose of a "better world" button.....as you can see, I still believe in fairy-tales.....

Thank you so much for your kindness and concern.

Ciao, ciao...

Flora

Comment