How did YOU get here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did YOU get here?

I suddenly found myself curious last night about how all of you came to be here.

I accidentally happened across a fellow retoucher online, and she was the one who mentioned it to me. Boy, was that a lucky encounter!
    Search Engine
    44.44%
    A friend told me
    4.86%
    Someone posted it on Usenet
    6.25%
    Accident
    19.44%
    Other
    25.00%

Definitely the indirect route...

I was searching the net for something like "photo art," and stumbled on a conversation (not at RP) where a couple folks were discussing the "Grain Surgery" plugin.

Hadn't yet heard of GS and it sounded interesting, so I started another search for info on GS, during which Google.com listed the link to the RP Review Doug Nelson wrote. When I read his reaction to the first time he saw the results of the GS degrain feature (something like "Holy [xxx]"), I was motivated to read the rest of what turned out to be an excellent review. (BTW: I eventually bought GS.)

Thoroughly impressed, I started poking around the rest of the RP site... and about 4 a.m. concluded this is a very special place.

So, here I are...still.

~Danny~
    Last edited by DannyRaphael; 06-27-2002, 06:10 AM.

Comment

My memory isn't good enough to remember the details, but I first found the forum months before I joined last year. I was probably searching for something related to photo restoration. I looked around and found it interesting, but wasn't ready to commit to registration, so I just bookmarked it. When I revisited later last year, it seemed to still be a friendly place as well as "chock full" of information. The "Challenges" section intrigued me enough that I had to join just to take part.

Comment

I was working on my first restoration for a client and didn't know where to start, so I posted a question to one of the News groups (can't remember which one). Doug responded with an e-mail inviting me to post my request for help here (and said if it wasn't time critical, I could submit it as a challenge, but alas, that wasn't possible.) Regardless, I got such a great response and when I posted my results - got even more feedback to make the final result even better... Well, you get the picture.

Everyone's feedback was helpful and encouraging and made me want to learn even more - and I decided that THIS was a place I could learn and not be afraid of mistakes. I haven't looked back since.

Jeanie

Comment

We had another thread on this one time before, but I can't locate it. It could have been on the other site, and didn't get passed on to this one? I did find another thread (kind of unrelated) where I posted on May 26, 2001. This must have been shortly after I became a member on the old site.

Anyhow...I remember saying at that time that I didn't remember how I got here, but I did know how to get back!! That's the important part.

Ed

Comment

I was reading the posts in the retouching forum of another favorite site, dpreview.com, and came across one that posted a link to RetouchPro. The poster mentioned how much they had learned at the site. I clicked on the link and have been hooked ever since.

Comment

I'm not sure where, but I saw the little yellow ducky somewhere about a year ago (from manipulation challenges) out on the web, and it had a link to here. I came here, made an entry, posted it, read the feedback, and went on my way. Recently I found the old submission and came back to see the place again and can't seem to leave.

Not that I'm trying too hard to do so...

Comment

I was researching Katrin Eismans book online and wound up on her site where I discovered Retouch Pro in the links page. Thought it was one of the most unique concepts of member interaction and information sources.
                DJ

Comment

Hey! Everyone's getting new Avatars!

Comment

I voted "accident" but only because there was no buttton for "serendipity".

Comment

Originally posted by Blacknight
                      Hey! Everyone's getting new Avatars!
                      Yeah, looks like Marie is on the Spyder ride at the fair, and I saw David Kendall whizzing along in outerspace in another thread... I'm gonna need seasick pills before long... :o

Comment

I voted "A friend told me", but it was partly by accident too. I had a zip disk with a couple photoshop tuts on it, when I was learning the GIMP, and there was also a couple retouchPRO challenges on it. when my dad gave me the disk he mentioned retouchPro, but I didn't really give it a second thought until I'd finished a challenge and decided to check out the site to see if the challenge was still on so I could post it.
                        Yeah, looks like Marie is on the Spyder ride at the fair, and I saw David Kendall whizzing along in outerspace in another thread... I'm gonna need seasick pills before long... :o

- David

Comment

Hi everybody!

The "search engine" Altavista was my road to "il Paradiso"

After passing to PS, and not getting anywhere, I decided to search the "wide world" for help. Hopping from one "link" to the next, reading anything I could get my eyes on, and, of course, getting more and more confused, I landed here .... looked around and bookmarked it about 3 times just to make sure I'd find it again....

I "lurked" for a while, but, at the end, the kindness, warmth and generosity of everybody here, made me decide to stay.

Comment

I came across this site via a link from another - for some unknown reason the web master of that site has now removed that initial link! Still, I too am so very glad to part of such a friendly and talented community.

Cheers,
                            Barry

Comment

I guess I'll select "other"
                              Learn by teaching
                              Take responsibility for learning

Comment