Torrential rains and wind expected in Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torrential rains and wind expected in Phoenix

Man, we hardly ever get rain, but when we do... The 2nd massive storm system heading east from the coast should hit us tonight and drop 4 or more inches in 2 days. That's as much rain as we often get in a year. Wind advisory warns of serious gusts.

People I have to tell you that I'm feeling a little paranoid for some reason. The patio roof (that we thought we had fixed) leaked in the storm yesterday. The pool is full from the rain yesterday and the pump (almost new) broke this morning so we can't backwash it. If we get the predicted 4 inches, it could overflow. We have 5 huge trees around our house, and the ground is already saturated. I just keep thinking -- what if a tree blows over and smushes my house?

So I did what any paranoid photo lover would do. I gathered all my photos (frames, albums and all) and put everything in plastic bags inside plastic bins and stacked it in the middle of the house away from windows. I figure I can replace anything (including the house) except the family photos. Then I took pictures of all my computers, scanners and printers, and stuck the camera along with all my receipts inside another plastic bin next to the pictures. You just never know.

I have never done anything like this before, but I'll sleep better tonight. Tomorrow morning I may move my computers and scanners away from the window. I probably need to have my head examined but I just have a bad feeling about this one.

You know, we are just not used to rain here in the desert. Drivers forget everything they have ever learned as soon as the pavement gets wet. And apparently, it causes paranoia in a few of us.

Becky

Re: Torrential rains and wind expected in Phoenix

You know, we are just not used to rain here in the desert. Drivers forget everything they have ever learned as soon as the pavement gets wet. And apparently, it causes paranoia in a few of us.
    hehe, i have to laugh a bit at this part of your post. i grew up in michigan and a foot of snow was nothing. you drove in the ruts the guy before you had made and the bus always got through to pick up kids for school. now that i live in kentucky, if it snows a half inch they close the state! lol. ok, that's a tiny bit of an exaggeration, but not by much

you'll be fine, by the way. four inches a lot in an arid area, but when it comes that fast, even in dry conditions, the tendency is for most of it to run off fairly quickly. and, trees and other plants in dry conditions, also have a tendency to grow very long roots to go deep to get to where there is moisture. i'd be more worried about mud getting in the house or pool than anything else.

Comment

Sounds like a logical reaction to me. Don't ever let anybody tell you that photographs aren't important.

Comment

I didn't think of how deep the tree roots must be, so that makes me feel a little better. Water and mud making its way into the house and pool is a definite possibility. Our yard doesn't have a good slope. Next house, I'll keep this in mind.

We've lived in this house 12 years and haven't had a storm like this, so I don't know how we will do. 4 and now they're saying maybe even 6 inches of rain in 24 hours can be a problem anywhere, but in the desert where our roads and drainage aren't set up to handle it, it can be a serious mess! Here's hoping that the newsies are just going for drama. I'm a native and know that any rain is always big news.

Since last night, it's just been steady rain. Power lines went down in the north valley last night, but Mesa has been okay so far. The commute is going to be terrible this evening for a lot of people. Because we have so little rain, the oil accumulates on the roads and they get extra slick.

I am serious - we really don't know how to drive in the rain here! I'm so glad I can stay home today.
        Last edited by bpurvis; 01-21-2010, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Interesting reading your post I hope ( internet permitting) that you keep us all updated

And a rule of thumb for how deep roots are is they are as broad as the tree and as deep as the tree is tall ! ! !

good luck

Palms

Comment

Well, they're calling it a monster storm, so I've kept the tv on today -- highly unusual! 3 of the trees are 30 year old pines and REALLY big, so the taproots should be good on those. On the other hand, if one of them fell, the house would be totaled.

The 2 big ash trees in front are not real healthy and are on the south side of the house, which is the direction the wind is supposed to come from. They're the ones that are making me nervous. My 2 computers, slide scanner, regular and wide format printers, and flatbed scanner are all next to the window in the room next to the ash trees. I'm seriously considering unplugging everything and moving it to the other side of the house. It's just so much work...

On the other hand, the wind is finally starting to pick up so I'm going to move the most expensive stuff now -- I guess that would be everything except the cheap printer! Rats...

Comment

I'd worry about the ash trees if I were you. They're not long-lived and the roots are fairly shallow. They also need lots of water (maybe because of shallow root systems) so are a good thing to be without in an arid area. We had 4 or 5 ashes in our yard when we bought the house 40+ years ago. All have been gone for many years - but the last and largest one blew over in 83 (or was it 93?) and punched several holes in our roof. Would have been worse if it had been alive at the time.

Then again, this series of storms hasn't been as strong in Southern California as was predicted. Strong enough, mind you. Maybe you'll not get a monster storm, just a gully-washer.

Comment

They're even closing Sky Harbor Airport this afternoon. That never happens! They're calling it a MONSTER STORM.

Is the rest of the country laughing at us? We've had such a beautiful winter. The garden has been growing like crazy and I haven't worn a coat so far this year. Guess it's our turn.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                  I'd worry about the ash trees if I were you. They're not long-lived and the roots are fairly shallow. They also need lots of water (maybe because of shallow root systems) so are a good thing to be without in an arid area. We had 4 or 5 ashes in our yard when we bought the house 40+ years ago. All have been gone for many years - but the last and largest one blew over in 83 (or was it 93?) and punched several holes in our roof. Would have been worse if it had been alive at the time.
                  Oh man -- that's what I'm afraid of. All the ash trees in our neighborhood are close to 30 years old and not as healthy as they used to be. They've been losing branches over the last couple of years and they're the ones upwind from my office window.

Did you know that Arizona has a "Stupid Motorist Law"? No kidding! It says that if you drive through road barricades and have to be rescued from the water, that you have to pay for the rescue. There are always a few...

Comment

Most likely a bit late, but did you check with your insurance company? Will they pay for a new roof? Do you have all your equipment insured? Some company's house insurance will not cover your equipment if it is used for commercial purposes. If you claim it as a hobby, some will take a look at the total amount and deem it excessive and deny coverage. Good luck!

Comment

I've considered commercial insurance, but haven't gotten to it yet. Whoops. We haven't had a tree go thru the roof, but today looks chancy. Heavy rain and winds to 65 mph. I'm just feeling paranoid for some reason.

Comment

Here ya go Becky..

Some nice hot chocolate and vanilla wafers to help you relax...

Enjoy, then look forward to the rainbows..
                        Attached Files

Comment

Why, thank you -- it looks yummy. I've got most everything moved, so I'm just kicking back and watching the storm. Hot chocolate, or maybe coffee, sounds like a great idea.

Comment

Dang! Now we have a tornado watch. Guys, this never happens in Phoenix.
                            All our dry rivers are now overflowing. The airport is closed. Northern AZ is having a blizzard like they've never seen. Arizona is pretty much a mess.

Just wondering. What are you supposed to do in a tornado watch? It's not like we have storm cellars or anything.
                            Last edited by bpurvis; 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM.

Comment

A watch means a tornado is possible, get ready just in case.. watch and see if one happens .. It might and might not..

A warning means one has been spotted... if it is in your area seek shelter

If you are certain the tornado is heading toward you ... I would lay flat and hug the bottom of the toilet.. OR get in the tub with sofa cushions to cover with for protection from flying glass and debris, or get in the corner of a closet

From Tornado Safety:

IN HOMES OR OTHER SMALL BUILDINGS:
                              The best places are:

a small, windowless, first floor, interior room like a closet or bathroom. The bathtub and commode are anchored directly into the ground, and sometimes are the only thing left in place after the tornado. Getting into the bathtub with a couch cushion over you gives you protection on all sides, as well as an extra anchor to the foundation. Plumbing pipes may or may not help hold the walls together, but all the extra framing that it takes to put a bathroom together may make a big difference. If there is no downstairs bathroom and the closets are all packed with "stuff," a hall may be the best shelter. Put as many walls as you can between yourself and the tornado. In a pinch, put a metal trash over as much of you as you can. It will keep some flying debris from injuring you. Even that may make the difference between life and death.

Comment