Been busy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been busy....

A few months back I posted in one of the "website" threads about the site I was working on and a few people wanted me to post it when I got done...so here it is!

My brother started a poetry e-zine early this year and wanted me to do the design and act as the "art editor"....I knew very little about web design, so the first few issues were rather simple. As the site got bigger and several well known poets submitted work, we decided to do a major overhaul of the design...which entailed me learning about such wonderful things as CGI and CSS tags...ugh!

Needless to say, after a couple of all nighters this week, the new site is up! (...and if you can't already tell, I am proud of my little creation on the net! ) After all the work and even implementing a forum to the site, I have a whole new respect for web designers and people like Doug...a lot of work goes into even a simple site and although I would never want to do it for a living, it was a wonderful experience...and one that will not end!! I still have a long list of things to do.

So...if you want to read some strange poetry, head on over to sidereality.com ...and if anyone is interested in submitting some work, poetry, art (hint...photo art people!), etc... we do pay...it's more of a token "we appreciate you" amount at the moment but should increase with time.

Enjoy...and feel free to critique my design...I am still a bit of a web novice and my code probably looks like a 3 year old wrote it!

Congatulations! You did a great job. The site looks nice.

Mig

Comment

Thanks Mig! It took a considerable amount of time but I am pretty happy with the result.

Comment

the site is looking great greg!! it must've taken a long time to get that up (especially the forums, those are a pain to configure and get working right)

- David

P.S. I really like your "horizon" painting, cool idea!!
        Last edited by d_kendal; 10-08-2002, 12:35 AM.

Comment

David - The forum was rather difficult. Setting up was easy but getting it to look like the rest of the site was not...especially since it actually resides on a different server than the main site! We could not afford to buy and host our own forum software so we had to go rent a forum on another site...the software is somewhat similar to what runs Retouch.

Thanks for the compliments on the "Horizon" image...it started out as a little drawing in my sketchbook years ago and it mades it's way to the scanner and photoshop a few months back!

Comment

very good. looks professional.

Comment

lol - I know I am being stooopid but where is the link hidden? I cant find it for love or money!

Comment

Mike - 4th paragraph...or here -

who knew you could make a smilie linkable!

Comment

I think it looks great Greg!! Very professional. Great job!!!

Bob

Comment

Greg,

A super sized "attaboy"! Although my knowledge of website design is almost non-existent, I think your site is one of the best looking, if not the best looking site I've seen. Congrats on a great job.

Ed

Comment

Excellent site! Congratulations!

Phyllis

Comment

Really enjoying this site Excellent job. Well worth the long nights!

Clare

Comment

Really nice Greg, very impressive content and as we all know content is king! Just a couple of things I noticed (feel free to scorn my advice) on the navigation it is usually a convention to have 'home' at the top of the navigation, also the logo (which I was enourmously impressed with) would also normally point to your index.html (homepage)

Still really good work here and it certainly looks like you have solid foundations for the future. Certainly in my faves list.

Comment

Good job!
                            Learn by teaching
                            Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Mike - good idea for the logo! I never thought of that. The only reason why "home" is not at the top, is because we wanted the menu in alphabetical order... more like a magazine I guess...

Comment