Pretty cool battery life extender.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty cool battery life extender.

My Harmony 650 remote just eats batteries. Have to replace them every 35 to 40 days. Was thinking about getting a rechargeable battery set for it actually. Anyway, I ran across this story earlier today. Wish I could buy these now. $2.50 a battery is very reasonable.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/29289...0-percent.html

Re: Pretty cool battery life extender.

be interesting if it is what it says it is.

Comment

Planning to buy these on Amazon when they get released in September Craig. A 4 pack will be $10. Not going to break the bank. They are touting around 4.9X battery extension for remotes. That would be worth it for me. Only need 2 of these, but heck, at $2.50/pop it's not going to break the bank to have a few more. As a side note, they probably won't work for my M705 Logitech mouse since I believe it already uses a similar technology built in. Though Logitech touts it can last up to 3 years normal use, I'm getting around 8 months; still pretty darn cool since my last mouse only got 45 days.

Comment

Be great if this works but it makes me think of the old saying: If it seems too good to be true...

I'd not be the first to run out and buy until it's thoroughly tested and vetted.

Comment

A few things that I'm familiar with. Buck/Boost convertors and joule thief circuits. Also know that a lot of the battery's chemistry is wasted so why not juice as much of it as possible. Again, not sure of the guy's stats, but if I can use my remote for twice as long as before, it would be worth it to me.

Comment

Even I have trouble believing that I sold batteries for over 10 years. Millions of dollars worth of batteries, but still... And I can tell you the single best thing about good batteries is their warranty. It happens rarely, but I still processed dozens of claims for batteries ruining equipment (and in one case a wall) and almost all of them were fulfilled in a way that left the customer delighted.

This little gizmo however, even if it works, will not only multiply the chance of damage by battery (many fold, I suspect) but will also guarantee to nullify any warranty.
            Learn by teaching
            Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Yes; long term uber discharged batteries is a bad thing Doug but once my remote, which I use quite often) are fully dead, I'll know right away. I'm willing to take that risk for my remote since right now I'm having to replace the battery ever 35 days (but my remote controls my Roku, amplifier, TV, and Cable box and does it synergistically like my amplifier controls are available when I'm in cable box mode or roku mode not to mention the graphics display; I candy's worth it to me. lol; worth more if I can double or more the lifetime of the battery though).

Comment

High thee to Eneloops.
                Learn by teaching

Comment

Maybe so Doug, but then I have to bother waiting for the batteries to charge up or do some sort of rotation situation. Maybe the batteries will pay for themselves after 12 months, but then again, if I had a joule thief, which is pretty cheap if you ask me, then, if it extends the time to double (4.9X like they mentioned for remotes would be really cool, but I'm not holding my breath on that; lol), then the small risk may make it even better. Can you tell I'm not a real fan of rechargeable batteries? lol

Comment

I can fully appreciate that. Every time I'm about to buy another brick of batteries at Sams Club I say to myself that I'm going to finally make the leap to Eneloops. I've even gone so far as to have them in my amazon cart, along with a spiffy charger with all sorts of digital readouts (a definite plus IMO). But then I chicken out.

It could be a generational thing, growing up with those dreadful NiCd cells.
                    Learn by teaching

Comment

Yeah; when I was an EE, one of my specialties was battery techologies. Actually NiCds actually improved tremendously prior to NiMH technology. The memory effect has all but been eliminated. What caused NiCds to go bad (recent technology that is) is dendrite shorts. Dendrites plague many rechargeable battery technologies not just NiCds.

Comment

I don't understand 90% of this, but for those of you that can it should be interesting reading
                        http://www.eevblog.com/2015/06/07/th...ser-explained/
                        Learn by teaching

Comment

my best battery device is one I bought through television, (qvc or hsn, I forget). it allowed one to recharge alkaline batteries. It actually works. I was surprised and pleased. no telling how much I've saved on battery cost with this thing.

Comment