I'm New and not very savy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm New and not very savy

But I want to learn. I am trying to find how to make soft feathered edges around a photo in PS CS6. All the tutorials I can find either don't work for me cuz I don't know all those terms they use or they aren't soft enough. they're more like a hard white frame with a bit of soft at the edge. Not a real fade . Any ideas or free Actions that you know of that can do it? than you.

Re: I'm New and not very savy

I'd start by learning about layer masks. Once you get that concept a lot of the other stuff clicks into place.

Try this recording of one of my live shows about masks
    https://youtu.be/FK72c7FjgIc
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Thank you so much, Doug. I will.

Comment

Also, at the end of all my live shows with Steve Caplin (I do shows with many other guest presenters, but this is a feature of the shows with Steve) you can ask any Photoshop question you like and get live help. We have a show scheduled to start in about an hour.
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

A quick and easy way is to make a Marquee (rectangular or oval selection) around the edges of your image just inside the borders.

Choose Select>Modify>Feather and choose some number. **The results are affected by the resolution of your image, so you will need higher numbers for higher resolution photos to avoid the sharp cut.**

Then invert the selection (Select>Inverse), and Delete using White (if that's the color background you want).
          Attached Files

Comment

My quick way. If I create a quick feather, I select mask tool either the circle or square and I select where the feather is not going to be(inner area of image). Then I invert the mask using 'ctrl+shift+i' to get the mask to now have selected where the feather will be. Then I press D to reset my fill and paint colours to black and white in the boxes down the bottom then toggle X to select either a white or black fill. I'll then set my feather between 0 to 1000px and then press ctrl+backspace. This method takes me 4-5 seconds if I'm being quick.

My slow way. I think the most flexible way in my opinion is to use the brush tool(up to 5000px) with 0% hardness and paint in the feather preferably with a tablet of course having a nice mask additionally with a feather to set the bounds of where your feather will end is useful for keeping things nice and clean. Hope that might help.

Comment

Working...
            X