Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to the Forum

Hello,

My name is Todd. I joined the forum for basically two reasons.

1) I've just begun to teach myself how to colorize photos using the Gimp.

2) I'm an avid genealogist with LOTS of old family pics I'd like to learn how to clean up.

I will try to attach a couple examples of my attempts at colorizing pics (I had to reduce the file resolution a LOT to get them to upload).

Todd
    Attached Files

Re: New to the Forum

toddcarnes, Welcome to RetouchPRO
    Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
    Poke around, have fun!

Did you use the GIMP Save for Web Plugin (it does a grest job in reducing image size)... or have you tried one of these techniques to reduce image size.

There are some great GIMP enthusiasts here at RetouchPRO who would like to help you on your quest

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

I just used "Scale Image" from the Image menu.

I'll check the links you provided for other ways to handle it.

Thanks,

Todd

Comment

Hi Todd and welcome,

Like you, I got into 'photo restoration' a couple of months ago through genealogy. It's been a steep learning curve!
        RetouchPro is great - I'm a paid -up member but you might also be interested in http://www.rootschat.com. Rootschat is a genealogy forum but it has a sub-forum called 'Free Photo Restoration & Date Old Photographs'. There's even a sub-sub-forums called 'Photograph Resources, Tips, Tutorials'. Rootschat has some good - and some not so good - examples of photo restoration.

I'm a member of both RetouchPro and Rootschat and I find them complementary.

Mike

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check them out.

Comment