What's your internet connection speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, thanks - I feel better now.

Actually, as DJ says, it's a miracle I'm even online!

Comment

Hi Sam,
      This might make you feel even better. I'm in Canada in the middle of a reasonably big city (Edmonton) and when I tried the bandwidth test I got poor too!!
      the results looked like this:

Dial-up Internet speeds in Canada

average: ************************

your speed: ****

56k modem: *************

ouch. and I'm not even in the middle of nowhere

- David

Comment

Interesting, David. Do you suppose this crowd has got an ulterior motive?

Comment

Lol, I wouldn't be too suprised. everybody seems to be getting the same message

- David

Comment

Yesterday morning, I tried it from the university. I'm not sure what kind of link they have to the outside world, but it's pretty fat, so I said ISDN. Gave me >300kb/s, yet it said the speed was average!!!

So I think Sam and Dave are right in thinking there's a plot somewhere .

Comment

After that there is no way I'm going to even tell you what my test said. Looks like I may have started something here. OOPS
              DJ

Comment

well I just got my ADSL hooked up and i love it! it took me a while to actually get it because it costed so much more than dial up but im very glad that i switched, it's definitely worth the price. when i was using 56k my top download speeds were about 4-5 kbps but with the DSL i'm getting over 150 k per second. I just downloaded a 200 MB file in about 25 minutes, its great!

- David

Comment

1mb at the moment but upgrading to 2mb in September - you can never have too much bandwidth.

Comment

I have a 56k modem but rarely get connected faster than 34400. I blame it on the phone lines. I live 14 miles from the White House. You'd think the service would be better.

Comment

JB

Have you had the phone company test your lines...(I once worked for AT&T). There are things they can do to 'boost' your line but you will have to be persistent to get them to do it.

Sharon

Comment

It surprises me that so many of our 'cousins from across the pond' only have dialup access, I thought most of you had cable access and broadband connections. I would venture to say that all my friends and colleagues have minimum of 512, with many on more. Britian is fast becoming a broadband nation

Comment

I've been surprised too, I thought i was one of few to still be using dial up, but i was proved wrong. I think a lot of people are just waiting for the prices to come down some more. I think the price is worth it though, you may have to pay twice or 3 times more then you do for 56k, but the speed of it is many times as fast.

- David

Comment

In the Dallas Tx area DSL runs about $50 per month. My 56K dialup is $8 per month. I usually hook up around 50K so it's not too bad. I'm waiting for the prices to come down.

Gary

Comment

$50 american? ouch.. over here in canada it costs me $25 cdn a month for the first 6 months then $35cdn (about $25 US) a month after that. for my dial up it cost $100 cdn a year and i hooked up at about 45k usually.

- David

Comment

Yes David, our cable bill is $48/month! That gives us 1.5 Mbits/sec maximum download speed. We just got e-mail from AT&T informing us that they are now offering "UltraLink" service which gives a max download speed of 3 Mbits/sec for just $80/month! (DSL is not available where I live.) Wow - $25/month for DSL sounds great! AT&T definitely has a monopoly in this area.

Jeanie

Comment