Light Entertainment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Entertainment

An odd few minutes ploughing through old prints brought this one on. What date was this building completed. Please dont take it too seriously no 'research' please.
    And 'ponders' from this side don't qualify for the grand prize.
    Attached Files
    0.00%
    16.67%
    33.33%
    0.00%
    16.67%
    33.33%

The poll is expired.

Is there an answer forthcoming? I am curious. I don't have a clue really since I am not well versed in buildings and thier styles in history so I took a stab at it and picked 1838. I suppose the word "finished" can mean it was started a century ago but not finished until recently. Lots to ponder on this one.
    DJ
    Last edited by DJ Dubovsky; 09-10-2001, 07:47 PM.

Comment

I'll take a wild but uneducated guess...around 1927. That's because I didnt see an outhouse and everybody in the photo looks kinda modern--no Cromwellian roundheads there!! Tom

Comment

It's not a trick question I mean finished in the form as the original architect designed it. I'll let it run for a while.

Shame on you Tom everybody knows the camera wasn't in general use in England until 1666 shortly after Cromwells death !

Comment

Ah, come on. Next thing you'll be telling me is that Drake didnt use Jet Ski's to defeat the Armada at the Battle of Bannockburn!! Tom

Comment

T

If the Armada reached Bannockburn all I can say is that Philip II should have bought Medina Sidonia a new compass !.

Comment

My staff and I have been battling to correlate the data from the huge response to this poll. The house is Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire and was finished in 1597. A local penned the line....

'Hardwick Hall more glass than wall'

It was actually built by a woman who's 3 wealthy husbands pre deceased her. The 3rd one must have been an optimist !

I'm afraid the prize a signed photo of Prince Andrew will not be awarded in this case. Sorry Tom I knew you had a place for it somewhere !

Comment

Hey Chris. I was closest. Don't I even get a parting gift?

Ed

Comment

Oh, darn!!! I was going to put the photo of Andy next to the picture of a road kill badger which adorns the lower levels of my dwelling!! That old gal must have needed the income from 3 husbands to buy that much glass. Who got the job of washing the windows? The Scots? No wonder they rebelled!! Tom

Comment

Ed its no use coming in this late with the results posted and having the brass neck to claim a prize. Anybody could have claimed 1710, have you any proof ?

Comment

Sorry - can't prove anything. But nobody else has claimed it, so I thought I would do so. Now you still don't know, do you?

Ed

Comment

I can't hand out prizes like these willy nilly besides TG will expect one as well. All I suggest is you settle the matter between yourselves in an honourable fashion. My Hudson Bay Company map 1774 ( Lower Canada ) shows several trading posts mid way between your home locations. Duelling Pistols in the post.

Comment

Chris,

Just give the prize to Tom. His wife told me he was looking forward to it. Besides that, I can't shoot straight!

Ed

Comment

Chris and Ed, I'd like to set out immediately but Lewis and Clark are due any time now, and I got importaint stuff for 'em. Like 4 wheelers ,train tickets, and pizza. Tom PS: ( Jefferson would be unhappy if I missed 'em)
                            Last edited by thomasgeorge; 09-16-2001, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Explorers must have been a blasted nuisance in their day. Do you ever see records of them arriving with anything useful for the locals, never !

No wonder Kublai Khan sent Marco Polo off on a tour of SE Asia !

Comment

Working...
                              X