No announcement yet.

Turn out your pockets (May 2003)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doug, don't worry about it. The members here realize that we're doing it for our own pleasure and education as much as for any other reason.

I'd love it if you could give us an update sometime on what changes will occur when your webserver company rolls out "the new class of service" -- are the Archives going to come back on line then, as well as having enough room for us to keep doing all those Member Challenges, etc. When are you going to tell us more about "the major new service addition to the site." You posted that you were going to "shamelessly tease" us until a few technical problems got worked out. Can't you give us a HINT?

Help Support RetouchPRO -- our favorite place to learn, teach, and play!

Comment

Thanks Doug for all your hard work...

I've been spending my time lately putting together a family reunion web site and having slogged my way through reams and reams of PHP, mySQL, Javascript, and so forth (a lot of it written in German) I have an even greater appreciation of what it takes for Doug to keep this site running smoothly.

I sent in my contribution and like David mentioned with the stronger Canadian dollar it seems less than usual but I hope it will help.

Take care, Margaret

Comment

CJ brings up two excellent points.

As far as the new class of webserver service, I can only assume at this point that it will mean more space and bandwidth. How much of each I can only guess, but it will probably be "a lot". The other advantage will be limited sharing, so we'd be only one of a few sites running on one machine, instead of one of thousands as we are now. This should help speed and reliability. Aside from that I really can't say (because I don't know). There's always the possibility that their offering will be disappointing (since they won't give me any clues, either). In that case we'll just move (a shame, since I really like this current company, plus moving is such a pain).

As far as the 'tease' is concerned, it really isn't fair of me to wait so long before telling anything more about it. I was expecting for the new feature to be up and running long before now, but cascading technical problems have conspired to delay it. It is far and away the most complex, ambitious (and expensive) addition to the site so far, and could possibly dwarf even the forums and gallery in popularity. Or not, since I've been wrong before
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

YAY!
          I just ordered Painter 8 through RP. And sent in my contribution in the process.

Tony
          Last edited by angue; 05-28-2003, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Don't forget to review it
            Learn by teaching
            Take responsibility for learning

Comment

it really isn't fair of me to wait so long before telling anything more about it. I was expecting for the new feature to be up and running long before now, but cascading technical problems have conspired to delay it. It is far and away the most complex, ambitious (and expensive) addition to the site so far, and could possibly dwarf even the forums and gallery in popularity. -- Doug
              Ohhhhhh! He did it again, only BIGGER!

Tony -- I'm so glad that you were able to get Painter 8 via the RP support system. I'm happy to have been mistaken.

Help Support RetouchPRO -- our favorite place to learn, teach, and play!

Comment

Doug - Will do.

CJ -Painter 8 was just linked today. I would think it's because you PM'd Doug.

Tony

Comment

Tony -- I didn't PM Doug; I thought you would .
                  I think Doug read your request.

Help Support RetouchPRO -- our favorite place to learn, teach, and have fun!

Comment

Well, I'm also in.

Just to make sure this thread stays on top

Thanks for the update on the exciting things to come Doug.

Comment

Mine's not in yet, but Big Al wanted to keep the thread on top, so here it is!

Ed

Comment

Well, count me in. Thanks BigAl for reminding us this year. I know I have gotten way more support and help than I could have gotten anywhere else. You guys here have been a real big boost to my learning curve and I really appreciate having this site to come to for help.

Thanks Doug for providing this for us.

Comment

Anyone else a little late?

I finally got mine sent in. Anyone else a little late? You can contribute any time you feel like it.

Ed

Comment

you're not the only one, I didn't get paid til friday, so i put my donation in the mail on the weekend, so it should be on it's way now.

- David

Comment