Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Explorer

This is driving me crazy.
    Whenever I'm using iexplorer, and want to play a sound file, it opens quicktime in a seperate window.
    Does anyone know how to change it, so that it just plays the sound?
    Thanks

Vikki, can you post a link to a page where this happens?? I don't know why it happens, but I'd like to look at the code and see if I can figure it out.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret, but it's not a web page thing.
      It's my settings that are wrong, but I can't figure out how to change them

Comment

I know I've seen this before, but I can't remember the answer... I have a horrible feeling it's something in the Registry though.

As a starting point, if you go into the Control Panel and then double-click on the QuickTime icon to open the QuickTime Settings panel, what boxes are checked when you select "Browser Plug-in" on the pull-down menu? (I really don't think that's it though.. going off to bash my head against a wall in the hope of remembering what I've forgotten...)

Comment

I'm not sure what kind of sound files you're talking about. Is it that you installed Quicktime and it now plays something like WAV files? You can open Windows Media Player, pick tools/options/file types and reselect media player as the default to play them. Quicktime might try to again seize control of the file associations when it gets a chance. If it does, open it ans select edit/preferences/quicktime preferences/file types and make sure the box isn't checked. You can pick what file types quicktime is assocaited with there too. Not sure if that is what your problem is.

Comment

Quicktime is evil.
            I do not have it associated with anything but QT movies, and yet, when I'm browsing, and click on an audio file, it opens a new quicktime window.
            I haven't looked in the registry, and really don't think I should have to.
            Thanks everyone for your help

Comment

Assuming you're using WinXP, find a file erroneously played by QT, right-click on it, select "Open with..." and then "Choose Program". Choose which program you'd rather play the file, and check the little box at the bottom "Always use this program to play this file".

Older OSs also had this option, but you had to hold down the shift or ctrl key (I forget which) when right-clicking.

For Macs, pre-OSX this would be a ResEdit problem, after OSX I have no clue.
              Learn by teaching
              Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Doug, that didn't work either. I already have these associated with something else.
                I had to go to "Set Program Access and Defaults" to get it to use Media Player (these settings keep changing on their own too).

Comment

If you're using Windows, if you go where I suggested before (into the Control Panel and then double-click on the QuickTime icon to open the QuickTime Settings panel, then select "Browser Plug-in" on the pull-down menu) and click on the "MIME settings" button at the bottom of the panel, then expand the "Audio" by clicking on the "+" next to it, are any of the boxes ticked?

The file type associations for stand-alone QuickTime and plugin QuickTime are, cunningly, handled separately...
                  Last edited by Leah; 11-28-2003, 07:18 AM.

Comment

In the HTML for the offending page, the <embed> tag may may have the target set to "quicktimeplayer"

.....but what do I know,

Margaret

Comment