My newest hobby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My newest hobby

I just thought I'd inflict my first effort at my new hobby on everyone. It's a slow, quiet instrumental piece, kind of melancholy.

http://www.retouchpro.com/music/sea.mp3

All those who say "I'm embarrassed to show my first retouching work" can listen to this and know I understand how they feel
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

yup! smooth

almost like a lead in to some of Floyd's mellower pieces.

you say Hobbie.... is this from scratch or editing style ? what sort of program ?

Comment

Wow, I blush at any comparison to PF. Thanks!

From scratch. I designed most of the sounds using softsynths, and recorded with Cubase. There's really no mixing at this point, since that's further up the learning curve for me.
      Learn by teaching

Comment

Here's my latest to inflict upon you. I envisioned a cool little baby with sunglasses, beret, and a tiny thin mustache trying to go to sleep. But a friend tells me it sounds like the music they play in thrillers when you finally get to see the serial killer's handiwork.

http://www.retouchpro.com/music/lullabyblues.mp3

My clumsy fingerwork is quite evident, and I still haven't learned to mix.
        Learn by teaching

Comment

I'd like to hear your stuff but for some reason my XP keeps crashing on me when the file is loading. I wonder why?

Cheers
          Duv

Comment

I actually did this one about the same time as the other two, just now got up enough nerve to post it
            With all the suggestions that my music was creepy and melancholy, I decided to go all out in that direction.

http://www.retouchpro.com/music/creepy.mp3

Duv:

Try right-clicking and "save target" to dl them to your desktop. That might help.
            Learn by teaching

Comment

Very cool! I can see that being played in "Halloween XXV".

Ed

Comment

Thanks Doug. I was finally able to listen to your tracks. Wow! What a disappointment.....Just jokin! Your first piece was nice, Kind of atypical enviro New Age to me. Nice, very relaxing. Your second piece blew me away in terms of what you did and where it can go. Personally, I didn't find it that creepy, although I can clearly see that side of it. I'm a somewhat older duck brought up on Bill Halley through the Beatles and somewhat beyond. My son now 30 comes over regularly and downloads his own music. I not sure what you call it but it has a lot more interest and depth than New Age. In his folder he has groups such as Arovane, Boards of Canada, Brian Eno, Labradford and Vincent Gallo to name a few. Not household names but music that can definetly transport you (that's old man me!)

We both just listened to your second piece about 8 to 10 times and while we recognise where you're currently at in the scheme of music production, we both agree that you have some serious talent and hope you keep on pushin forward.

We both like the way the music builds, there's nice contrast if you think pictorially and it challenges your "dreamstate" more than your first piece. Just our thoughts but we both hope to hear more from you. Definetly..Don't be shy.

Dave

Comment

Ed & Duv, thanks for the kind comments. As for where I'm at in the production scheme, the retouching equivalent would be "which one's the mouse?". One of the reasons all my pieces are so slow is that's as fast as I can play I bought some "learn piano" software, but it's obvious I'm going to have to find an in-person teacher.
                  Learn by teaching

Comment

I can't tell if I'm getting better or worse at this, but it's certainly more...complicated

http://www.retouchpro.com/music/harpo.mp3
                    Learn by teaching

Comment

better or worse?

Coming from a total non musical person like me take the compliment as it is intended...Not bad. Not bad at all. I enjoy your melancholy, thoughtful music. You definitely have talent. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Thanks, I'll take all the compliments I can get

I guess I'll just have to bow to the popular opinion that my music sounds sad. It still puzzles me, since I just mash keys until I come across a combination that makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up. Perhaps it says something deeper about me than I'm willing to admit.
                        Learn by teaching

Comment

I call this one "Get out of my mind", simply because I had to record it just to stop it from repeating over and over and over and over in my head...

http://www.retouchpro.com/music/goomm.mp3
                          Learn by teaching

Comment

Hauntingly beautiful.

Now, how do I get it out of MY mind....

Comment

Such a nice thing to say! Thanks.
                              Learn by teaching

Comment

Working...