Knoppix linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knoppix linux

For any bi-OS curious folk out there, I just downloaded the ISO image for Knoppix Linux and burned it to CD (it's ok, that's what they want you to do, it's free and distributed as an ISO). You boot directly off the CD, run off the CD, everything is all there, even apps. No installation of any sort.

And it worked great! (though it was slow as all getout until it finished booting).

http://www.knoppix.org/
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

knoppix is definitely my fave live-distrib OS

of course, as in the case of any of-removable-media OS you need lotsa RAM to run it at some reasonable speed (i mean enough RAM to load all progs, w/o necessity to load stuff from CD during the work), but having the OS always with you anywhere you need it is really worth it

knoppix has been the only unix-based OS i've been using before i bought another harddisk for freebsd... simply "grande" ;-) and has everything you might need...

btw. it's a good choice also for the "noobs" to the world of unix, as you don't log in as admin, but just user, so you can't destroy so much

Comment

This came as part of the Knoppix package, and is very fun. But I found a Java version that anyone can play from their browser:
      http://glenn.sanson.free.fr/fb/play.html
      Learn by teaching
      Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• garfield
        cd write problem
        by garfield
        HI! I have a problem with the cd write i did, why is it some of the exe in installer that I cd writed disappeared? When i open it it says that "this is not a win32 application" when in fact in the original it is ok? how was this?
        11-22-2002, 03:45 AM
      • Peter S
        oops
        by Peter S
        Has this ever happened to anyone else.
        While looking on this site last night, I put a Rewriteable CD in my drive.
        After a little while I forgot about it, Windows had not come up with the autoplay window so I forgot.
        Then there was a very large BANG from the computer.
        Whats...
        08-14-2005, 03:12 PM
      • Ed_L
        Archiving CD's
        by Ed_L
        If you use Cd's for archiving purposes, is there a particular type of CD that you use? If there is, why do you choose it over the others?

Ed
        11-03-2001, 11:45 AM
      • Marni
        Help!!! My pictures are missing
        by Marni
        I have a question that I HOPE someone can answer for me. I have been working on photo's and then saving them to my hard drive. I got a little nervous about putting all that information there in case of a crash and thought it would be a good idea to move them over to a CD. I saved them all in "Direct...
        08-15-2001, 07:55 PM
      • Linda15
        Changing properties on Read-only files
        by Linda15
        After I have saved a file to a CD (rewritable) I am unable to move it to another CD, or even delete it as the response is
        "Read-only" file. I have attempted to change the properties and uncheck the "read-only" box; When I click on apply, an error message comes up with "Error...
        06-01-2002, 09:37 AM
      Working...
      X