Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mt. Saint Helens -- photos

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/..._8march05.html

(It's a static webpage, so even Gary can see it, I think )
    Look down to the middle of the page to see photos from "a research camera about 2.3 kilometers (1.5 miles) from the vent caught the root of the plume as the eruption began. This camera takes an image every 2.5 minutes. Presented here are three images, the first showing the dome on the morning of March 8, 2005, and the next two during the event."

Some more choices -- some are too big for some folks to download easily
    http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/Images/MSH04/
    Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-09-2005, 02:14 PM.

Volcano

Thanks for the pics! Out here in Germany I hadn't even yet seen anything about it yet. And not much of a News watcher really.

T

Comment

I'm a little jaded

I lived less than 50 miles from St. Helens when it "seriously blew" in 1980. The "big eruption" was preceded by several smaller ones that were larger in scale and intensity than this most recent event.

Since then I've driven past (what's left of) this mountain at least 100 times en route from Seattle, Washington to Portland, Oregon, and each time I'm still awed by nature's majesty and power. It is indeed a humbling sight.

Comment

Well, it made the news here. Great shots CJ. Yes, even on my tortoise like connection they display well. Hope it's just a minor event, not a full blown eruption. If any such event can be called minor.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Fazools
          My 9-11 / WTC photos...
          by Fazools
          After 5 years I had to finally sit down and face a few demons. One of those ways was going back and looking at the photos I took, although not graphic, they brought back some vivid memories. So this was very helpful to do, and figured some of you might be interested in seeing them. One note, I am not...
          09-12-2006, 01:40 AM
        • jeaniesa
          Hey Arura! (about travel in Viet Nam)
          by jeaniesa
          Hi Arura,

I thought I'd move the discussion of VN travel over here so that we don't clutter up the Critiques thread with off-topic discussion. Anything goes over here in Salon though!

Wow - 5 weeks to see VN! That sounds about right. I brought my mother with me in...
          06-14-2002, 01:28 PM
        • bravura
          saving crumbling albums
          by bravura
          Old albums I've inherited from my grandfather are falling apart. The photos are glued to the crumbling black pages. Is there a way to safely remove them so I can put then in a new album? There may be identifying writing on the backs of some of the pictures, and I want to preserve that as well.
          11-21-2001, 04:09 PM
        • Frank Lopes
          Looking for opinions
          by Frank Lopes
          When I post images on my website I look for a couple of things:
          images that I'm proud to show
          images that represent different kinds of work
          images with interesting/captivating subjects

I came across in the Library of Congress a series of photos of Native Americans...
          05-04-2006, 09:15 PM
        • jeaniesa
          Wild fires
          by jeaniesa
          While I'm not in any danger with existing fires, having been near enough to one two years ago to pack my car with irreplacables (i.e., photos and computer), the wild fires raging in CO right now have me on edge.

The latest news on the fire near Denver is that it's 10 miles from the SW...
          06-10-2002, 05:41 PM
        Working...
        X