No announcement yet.

OK, now what do I do??

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Doug Nelson
    Celebrity Photoshoppers?
    by Doug Nelson
    Everybody needs a hobby, even moviestars. While many have hobbies made possible by their huge salaries (Jay Leno's car collection), there are also many that enjoy more mundane relaxations. Jeff Bridges is into photography. Wil Wheaton is known now more for blogging than acting. James Whitmore became...
    05-02-2010, 07:23 PM
  • Jay322
    Advice for a Beginner
    by Jay322
    While working in the production side of a magazine I became interested in the retouching aspect. I know the basics of photoshop and also took a level 1 class. I really would love to learn more but don't know what the next step for myself should be. So I guess what I really want to know is how you...
    08-10-2006, 03:04 PM
  • klassylady25
    Beginner woes...
    by klassylady25
    I've been on here for some time and the more I watch the more discouraged I become. Mind you that doesn't mean that I'm going to stop trying but everytime I see your pictures come out so well, and you talk about this techique or use of that tool, I think that I may never come to a place of excellence....
    02-25-2006, 01:31 PM
  • Benny
    How do I get work as a retoucher?
    by Benny
    Hi, I have worked as a photographer in the past and because of my interest in photography I have spent a lot of time trying to master Photoshop which I love. As it is hard to make ends meet as a photographer in a small country town and I'm sick of having to work weekends, I'm thinking about a career...
    06-09-2006, 03:55 AM
  • jeaniesa
    Hey Arura! (about travel in Viet Nam)
    by jeaniesa
    Hi Arura,

I thought I'd move the discussion of VN travel over here so that we don't clutter up the Critiques thread with off-topic discussion. Anything goes over here in Salon though!

Wow - 5 weeks to see VN! That sounds about right. I brought my mother with me in...
    06-14-2002, 12:28 PM
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, now what do I do??

Those of you who've followed my somewhat checkered career, know that I've done some volunteering at the local Seniors' center in the computer lab and even did a couple of stand-up routines based on PhotoShop Elements - to rave reviews I might add

I've had several requests from the seniors to continue my PhotoShop presentations, but there is a serious conflict with the "paid" instructors at the Seniors' center who get paid to teach courses that they know nothing about and then rely on me (the volunteer help) to bail them out (but I'm not here to complain)

Anyway, I came across a brochure for the local co-op owned cable outfit and they were calling for volunteers - something I know a bit about - so I had a look around their web site and there was a page asking folks to submit proposals for cable tv shows - hmmmm, went my gray matter, I could do that.

Soooo I called them, and just received a reply that they are interested in seeing my proposal for a tv show about PhotoShop (or photo retouching - don't know if it needs to be generic - does it?????)

Now what??

I have some ideas from earlier presentations, but for tv?

HELP

Margaret

Originally posted by winwintoo
    ....Soooo I called them, and just received a reply that they are interested in seeing my proposal for a tv show about PhotoShop (or photo retouching - don't know if it needs to be generic - does it?????)

Now what??

I have some ideas from earlier presentations, but for tv?

HELP

Margaret

Brush your teeth, and don't wear stripes or seersucker.

If you look at some of the video tutorials (any subject) at DVGarage http://dvgarage.com/ you can get an idea of how some folks present to a video audience. You already have some materials that you've used, but need to think about how to present it to an "audience of one" looking right at you and your materials (rather than presenting materials to a small or large group in a room). Here are some of his Photoshop videos which relate to photo retouching -- http://dvgarage.com/prod/prod.php?prod=psb&sub=samples (You have to register at the site to see the free tutorials, but they only email you about sales once in a while, and you can shut that down if you only want to take a look at the tutorials. He's got a cable TV show of his own now, I guess, and used to guest on the former TechTV -- Screen Savers, Call for Help, etc.)

There may be someone here who has actual experience at this, (I hope), but the technicians at the TV channel hopefully know how to help get your materials to show up to the audience, and you just need to set up lesson plans -- just like you've probably already been doing at the senior center.

Vikki has done some teaching/training, and there's a thread from a couple of years ago talking about what to teach first, etc.
    Found it -- right here:
    http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...ighlight=teach
    Last edited by CJ Swartz; 03-30-2005, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Margaret,

I see by one of your posts in another thread that you have already completed a couple of TV shows, and are working on more before they are aired -- congratulations!!

Now, come back here and keep us updated!!

Comment

Hi CJ and everyone - well we've done two shows and I was disappointed with my performance

I know what I wanted to show, but the setup was all wrong but the good news is that they were very open to suggestions and there is lots of enthusiasm for the concept so I'm even more pumped about completing the series. My hope is that I can make the next few shows so much better that they will realize that the first two shouldn't be aired and shoot them over again.

It was a combination of me never having done this before and their wealth of experience, but never with this kind of format - now we know.

I originally planned to do the shows "live" so I could have a guest or at least some phone or email feed back, but that was not to be, so I'll have to rely on the camera operators to provide feedback - they are volunteers and are anxious to learn too so that helps.

For anyone contemplating this kind of thing and doubting their ability, I can think of no better way to learn an application like Photoshop Elements than to agree to teach it Every time I went through a project and started to make notes, I would wonder if there was an easier way and back I would come to RetouchPro to seek answers - things I never thought I needed to know before popped out of the files.

I will keep you all posted on how it goes,

Take care, Margaret

Comment

I hope it shows up on one of my cable channels!

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Swartz
            I hope it shows up on one of my cable channels!
            I wish - it will only be shown locally. Maybe they'll send a tape to their sister station in the next city, but that's about it.

If I was going to be international, I'd have to dye my hair and wear makeup and do my nails............yikes!

I might be talked into recording it and sending a tape though.

Take care, Margaret

Comment

The first show aired tonight and my vast audience of 4 people (my son, 2 youngest grandkids, and my Mom) thought it was a hit

I was pleased that it turned out as well as it did. The post-production guy did an amazing job considering what he had to work with.

There are 4 more episodes that will air in the coming weeks and then they want me to do another series, probably in the fall.

Wow!

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by winwintoo
                The first show aired tonight and my vast audience... thought it was a hit

There are 4 more episodes that will air in the coming weeks and then they want me to do another series, probably in the fall. Margaret

WOWZER!!! Your show has been picked up for the Fall -- You got RENEWED!!

Many tips of the Congratulations Hat!!!

Comment

Well done Margaret,

If they wan't to renew you can't be doing too much wrong. I'm sure your audience is a lot bigger than four as well.

Once again congratulations with your achievement, have fun with the next series, and keep us posted.

Comment

Thanks Gary and CJ - I got high praise from my elderly Mom - she said even she could understand what I was doing!!

I'm hoping that the cable station will take the hint and offer more programming like this for the elderly folks who have computers but who don't want to or can't go to a classroom to learn more about them.

Take care, Margaret

Comment

Congratulations Margaret, RT's first media superstar.
                      Last edited by chris h; 07-06-2005, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Strangers are stopping me on the street!

It's the strangest thing - my tv show has been running now for a couple of months. There are only 6 episodes, so they show them over and over, but strangers are beginning to stop me in the grocery store and ask "aren't you that lady on tv?"

It's a bit unnerving.

Most of the people who talk to me tell me that they don't have computers and don't know anything about them, they are just fascinated to see how I can manipulate the images. The one they like the best is one where I "open" a woman's eyes by copying her husband's eyes over top.

So what I've learned from this is that people have a curiosity about how the "magic" happens around them and if I can show them just a little of that, I guess I'm doing a good thing.

I was worried that I was going to fast and not explaining clearly enough for people to follow instructions, but turns out that's not why they're watching anyway.

Take care, Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Haven't heard from you in a while. But with six shows to prepare I can see you'll have been kept pretty busy.

Nice to know that people appreciate what you're doing. Have you got any more shows in the pipeline.

Gary.

PS. Can I have your autograph now you're a Movie Star.

Comment

PS. Can I have your autograph now you're a Movie Star.
                            dont give it to him, margaret; he'll just sell it on e-bay

and congrats!

maybe you could make a shart, small windows media file and post it for us to see!

Craig

Comment

Working...
                            X