Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

Collapse
Loading...
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

    My first post on this forum, but maybe someone can help.

    When I was in high school many years ago, there was a man who made and sold candy at our football games.

    He would bring this large piece of candy, which resembled a small pillow, out on a large board and chip pieces off and place them in a bag to sell.

    The candy was, of course, very hard. It was white but not clear, and had chopped nuts in it. If you had strong teeth you might have chewed it, but mostly you allowed it to melt in your mouth till it was soft enough to chew. I believe it was slightly porous, but hard as a rock. He actually used a small hammer and chisel to break off the pieces.

    Now! Can anyone tell me what this candy most likely was, and can anyone help me find the recipe?

    I have been looking for a long time.

    All help MOST appreciated.

    Steve C.

  • #2
    Re: Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

    Steve

    from this side of the water your candy sounds like some sort of nougat there is a soft version or a hard version usually with nuts and sometimes candied fruit, it can be chocolate coated as well,
    here is some recipes for you to look through

    http://candy.about.com/od/nougatcand...nougat_hub.htm

    hope you suceed in your quest

    Palms

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

      Originally posted by palms1 View Post
      Steve

      from this side of the water your candy sounds like some sort of nougat there is a soft version or a hard version usually with nuts and sometimes candied fruit, it can be chocolate coated as well,
      here is some recipes for you to look through

      http://candy.about.com/od/nougatcand...nougat_hub.htm

      hope you suceed in your quest

      Palms
      Could be, but it was definitely hard. The nuts were chopped small or ground coarse. The outside appeared to be dusted with powdered sugar.

      Let me give a look at the info page you sent.

      I really thank you Ms. Palms.

      I can use all the info I can get. My high school days were a good while back.

      Steve C.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

        Steve, not sure but it sounds like melted sugar and a bit cream...

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

          Could have been White Almond Bark if it just melted in your mouth (I used to make this a lot!).. if it got chewy, there are a number of rock candy (Hard crack stage) mixtures from cinnamon to coal.... if it was porous inside he might have stirred in a bit of salt and baking soda like in making the coal for bad kids at christmas or used in Peanut Brittle...
          Of course these are just guesses based on your description

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

            OK folks, have been doing a little further investigation. I am pretty sure Palms nailed it.

            I went over several recipes for Nougat candy with nuts and checked out some photos. The recipe says it can be hard candy or soft depending on the curing time.

            Looks the same too. So am going to give it a try and I'll let everyone know what kind of gooey mess I end up with. Ah! Back to those high school days.....maybe.

            And my sincere thanks to OlBaldy, Amica, and Palms for caring enough to jump in with possibles.

            Steve C.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

              Originally posted by Steve Conway View Post
              OK folks, have been doing a little further investigation. I am pretty sure Palms nailed it.

              I went over several recipes for Nougat candy with nuts and checked out some photos. The recipe says it can be hard candy or soft depending on the curing time.

              Looks the same too. So am going to give it a try and I'll let everyone know what kind of gooey mess I end up with. Ah! Back to those high school days.....maybe.

              And my sincere thanks to OlBaldy, Amica, and Palms for caring enough to jump in with possibles.

              Steve C.
              That's ok Steve but i now have the taste for some nougat but i prefer the soft version

              Palms

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

                most welcome, Steve, they do this in Italy a lot called "torrone" melt sugar and add almonds..quite hard and crunchy...:-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Long lost candy recipe.....HELP!

                  Originally posted by amica999 View Post
                  most welcome, Steve, they do this in Italy a lot called "torrone" melt sugar and add almonds..quite hard and crunchy...:-)
                  Yes, I found a good bit of info on Torrone. Sounds like it could be the Torrone recipe that was used to make the candy I remember.

                  As soon as I get a chance to try it, I'll let you know how close I came.

                  Steve C.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X