No announcement yet.

Zucchini Bread

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• BigAl
    BigAl's winter warmer
    by BigAl
    You guys in the northern hemisphere are heading into summer, but down here at the bottom of the world we're heading into winter (yeah 25C daytime temps ), so here's my curry recipe.

500g cubed meat (beef or lamb)
    1 large onion sliced
    2 tblsp oil (I use olive oil)
    05-24-2002, 02:48 AM
  • Ed_L
    Broccoli soup (no meat, but chix broth)
    by Ed_L
    I didn't know if this should go in the vegetarian thread or not, so I'll post it here. I know a President who wouldn't like it, but he can't tell me it's no good!

Cream of Broccoli Soup:

Making the roux:
    Melt 2 tablespoons butter in sauce pan.
    Add 2 tablespoons...
    08-11-2002, 08:52 PM
  • amica999
    Pork sweet/sour
    by amica999
    Here I got a simple yet good recipe:
    For 2-3 persons take
    pork filet (400-500 g (works as wel with chicken, fish etc))
    1 egg
    1 small can of pineapples (make sure that they are naturally sweetened) and don't through away the juice, you'll need it later !!
    1 small can...
    03-21-2008, 10:22 AM
  • Ed_L
    Stromboli recipe
    by Ed_L
    Everyone has a cookbook -- why shouldn't we? (This coming from a guy who knows how to burn water) . My wife is a good cook, but she doesn't use recipes most of the time. So I won't be able to give recipes except for the ones I find in her cookbooks after I wipe the dust off of them. If you have...
    02-23-2002, 08:44 AM
  • d_kendal
    Dessert recipes
    by d_kendal
    here's a couple of my favorite treats:

Chocolate chip cookies
    the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've ever found.

1. Beat 2/3 cup melted butter,
    2 Cups lightly packed brown sugar,
    2 Eggs,
    2 Tbsp Hot water Mix well.
    2. Stir in 2 2/3...
    03-27-2002, 09:50 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zucchini Bread

The gardens in our area are beginning to mature, and every year people want to know what they can do with all the zucchini. Here's the answer. A moist zucchini bread spread heavily with butter (Oh, my arteries!). But oh, so good!

Zucchini Bread:

3 eggs
    1 cup salad oil
    2 cups sugar
    2 cups shredded zucchini
    3 teaspoons vanilla
    3 cups flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    3 teaspoons cinnamon
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Beat eggs until fluffy.
    Add oil and sugar.
    Add zucchini and vanilla.
    Mix well and add dry ingredients
    Put into a greased and floured loaf pan.
    Bake @ 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Makes 2 large loafs or 3 small loafs.
    Serve warm with butter.
    Attached Files

lemonade

Hi all!

Does anyone have an old fashion recipe for lemonade? I am sick of store bought stuff that leaves my throat glunky. My mother-in-law had a great one but we can not find it. This sounds simple but I have tasted many and very few taste like hers.

Thanks!

Bob

Comment

Ed,

zucchini ?

Bob this is a near copy of my Gt Aunts recipe for Lemonade...

Old-Fashioned Lemonade

675g (1½lb) Sugar
      1.2lt (2 pints) Water
      4 Lemons
      2 tsp Citric Acid
      2 tsp Tartaric Acid

Finely peel the lemons, removing only the outer waxy layer and squeeze the juice.
      Place the water into a saucepan with the lemon rind and boil for 2 - 3 minutes.
      Place the sugar, lemon juice, citric acid and tartaric acid into a bowl.
      Strain the boiling water over the juice mixture.
      Stir in the sugar to dissolve.
      Pour the liquid into clean, dry bottles sealing securely.
      Will keep for up to 6 weeks if stored in a cool dark place.
      Can be diluted before serving.

You might find it a bit sweet but we always drink it ice cold.

Cheers

Comment

Chris, not being a gardener, I share your dismay about Zucchini.

Zucchini seems to be a North American phenomenon. Near as I can tell, it's a vegetable that grows something like cucumbers - looks a bit like a cucumber, but a small plot of Zucchini plants can produce enough fruit to feed a small country.

Frantic gardeners who are loathe to just ditch the detestible things pawn them of on friends and neighbours - sometimes resorting to midnight Zucchini deliveries where they unload baskets full on the back stoops of unsuspecting strangers.

Everybody who grows the darn stuff seems to have their "favorite" recipe for it's use. Anything from soup to chocolate cake apparently can benefit from a heaping of mashed Zucchini.

Their only saving grace is that they don't seem to keep very long and the growing season is short.....

now I'm going to duck behind my fence before I get pelted with ripe Zucchini from all the gardeners in the group hehehehe

Margaret

Comment

I've been pondering what our equivalent was over here and have found that they are called courgettes . I'm not enamoured of them myself but perhaps I've had the wrong recipe. I do remember them being like certain breakfast cereals that seem to go on forever. I'll stick to Broccoli florets, damned if I know what they're called in the US !

Comment

Thanks Chris, that sounds great. I'll try it this weekend. To be truthful I'll ask my wife to try it. I knew there was more to it then dropping some lemon juice into water. As for the Zucchini it's the fruitcake of the vegatable world. Everybody gets some and nobody wants any. (except Zucchini bread, I've had that and it's pretty good if no one tells me what it is)

Funny this should come up. I just received our first installment from our neighbor. Enclosed is a picture of our responce. I am going to hide it in his garden. Ha Ha!!!!

Bob
            Attached Files

Comment

I have actually grilled slices of zucchini, basted with a bit of extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. Then just throw it on some toasted French bread with a little melted mozzarella cheese, diced roma tomatoes....instant vegetarian Panini!!

PS - Ed, thanks for the zucchini bread recipe! I'll try it out soon...maybe I'll post my mom's recipe for Squash muffins!

Comment

zucchini snake

oh that's gross Bob!! yuck. Is that really as snake about to swallow your zucchini or photoshop?

hey I'm with Greg. I actually like zucchini. And being a city girl with no veg garden neighbors I actually have to buy it.

Do I need therapy?

Comment

Re: zucchini snake

Originally posted by ravenmd

Do I need therapy?
                  Only the gardeners do! ...if the zucchini gets out of control, Ed might box some up and mail it to you!

Comment

Life is unfair. Yesterday my wife told me if I would pick some zucchini, and clean it, she would make some zucchini bread. She was busy at the time, so I went out and took care of it. I had enough to make about 15 or 16 loaves of zucchini bread. I left for a while, and when I got home, she had baked 6 loaves.

Last week, she made some, and our neighbor had been over. She never had zucchini bread, and my wife gave her a loaf to take home. She (and her husband) loved it, and she wound up with the rest of the zucchini I picked yesterday! But since they're good neighbors, I guess it's okay. We'll have a lot more before long.

Greg,
                    You're welcome. Let me know how you like it. This is one recipe I'll guarantee. I'll be looking for that recipe from you.

Marie,
                    I can't box it up for you, but if you stop by, I can load you up!

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_L
                      ....I left for a while, and when I got home, she had baked 6 loaves.

I wish my life was that "unfair"!

Comment

Hey Ed,
                        I grew up on Zucchini bread. It is sooooo good. Even if you hate the vegetable you would never know it was in that bread. It's really a sweet delicous quick bread. Thanks for the good recipe. I'm actually going to compare it to the one Mom used to make and see if there are some differences. Love to try a variation on the recipe.
                        OH Yeah, I just want to add here that taking a picture of the finished product was totally UNFAIR!!!
                        DJ

Comment

I'll be back later. I'm going out to buy walnuts, eggs and ZUCCHINI.

Comment

Working...
                          X