Grilling potatoes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grilling potatoes

Does anyone have a tried and true technique for cooking whole potatoes on the grill where they get that great crunchy skin? I've read conflicting versions of how to get it.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Re: What's cooking tonight?

I have not tried and trued it... but I did Google it!

The Grilling Encyclopedia: An A-to-Z Compendium of How to Grill
    (main and side bar for how to)

My thought (not tried) For the big baking spuds... if cooked on coals in foil till mostly done then unwrapped and browned/crisped on all sides using tongs to keep turning either on or very near the coals till brown and crispy....
    just a thought
    ~.~0lBaldy~.~

Comment

Re: What's cooking tonight?

See what I mean? One post, 3 different methods

I'm leaning towards the foil version, but even then I've read conflicting reports on coating with oil, shortening, lard, nothing-at-all, etc. Does the foil or oil prevent crunchyness?
      Learn by teaching

Comment

Re: Grilling potatoes

I believe oil prevents crunchiness, and softens skin... the foil helps prevent it from getting charred and also softens the skin because it keeps the steam in...

I don't think you can mess up a potato toooo bad!!

Just have enough taters N try each method plus your own inclinations and let us know what works!! 'Cause I really have NO clue!!

Comment

If you want really tasty potato skin, rub it with a little bacon grease and season with salt, pepper, and whatever else you like. Didn't say heart-healthy, just tasty! When I fry bacon, I keep a little in a jar in the fridge for just this purpose.

Comment

if i remember correctly, my dad/mom used to grill taters in foil. you rub the skin with lard and close the foil around them and put on the grill. about half way done, you open the top of the foil and cook the rest of the way. but, that's a very old, worn memory, so, good luck

Comment

Put the taters on the charcoal or fire place and keep turning them till they are done; they will get black and crunchy.
              They are called Mickeys.

Comment

rub with olive oil and cook in a grill basket

and since I know nothing about photo editing I am thrilled I could add something to the board!!!!

Comment

bpurvis-I must try you recipe!
                  pi168-lol

Coat the potatoes with butter and sprinkle with coarse salt. Wrap well in foil and then cook in the coals.

Comment

If you put a foil-wrapped potato directly onto the coals, would you turn it, and how long would you leave it on?
                    Learn by teaching

Comment

Shoot it is 2 oclock in the morning in Savannah and this potatoe thing sounds good... Yes I have heard of this.. I have cooked potatoes rubbing oil on the skin sprinkling salt rapping in foil and putting directly on the coals.. and turning a few times.. Also have cooked corn on the cob like this.. Pull back the husks clean off the silk and add butter and a little salt, pull the husks back up around the corn wrap in foil and put them on the coals and turn a few times.. take off and serve.... ...... ...

Comment

damn! you guys are making me hungry! **drool**

Comment

OK, I finally got around to trying this. After using a fork to poke them full of holes I sprayed my spuds with canola oil and doublewrapped in aluminum foil. Placed them directly on the coals and flipped them after about 20 minutes. All told they were on the coals about 45 minutes (didn't want to risk flipping them again after the main course went on the grill).

They were wonderful! Only one side got the slightly crunchy effect I was looking for (I assume that was the part that got more coal-time) but that was more than enough. In fact, if they had been crunchy all around it might have been too much.

However, after lifting the lid and removing the meat the increased oxygen caused one of the befoiled tubers to catch fire! No harm done, just a bit of soot on the foil. I assume it was from the meat dripping on it. And well worth the extra entertainment.
                          Last edited by Doug Nelson; 05-13-2009, 12:17 AM.
                          Learn by teaching

Comment

excellent, doug

when you do it just right (to me, anyways) the skins will be brittle/crunchy but the inside with still be tender/soft.

but, sounds like you got em how you like em

Comment

I usually poke them with a fork put in microwave depending on wattage mine is a 1000 watt for 7 minutes then put on the top rack of the grill with out foil about 15 minutes before i start cooking the rest of the meal... and remove when done they come out pretty good...

Comment

Working...
                              X