Who is your favorite detective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is your favorite detective?

A friend and I were comparing our preferences in tv/movie/book detectives earlier today. I like Daryl Zero (Zero Effect) and Nero Wolfe. He preferred Inspector Morse.

You don't know either of us, but I thought that was remarkably telling about both of us, and got to thinking it might be interesting to compare here.

I have a theory that our entertainment heroes illustrate our own unfulfilled wishes about ourselves. Does your choice of a detective say anything about you?
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

I wonder what that says about me... my favorite dectective was Cheif Inspector Clouseau!

Lisa

Comment

Lisa: ck your spell check.
      Doug, mine would have to be Jim Rockford, 2 Magnum PI,
      Best for reading, Travis McGee by John D. McDonald (deceased).
      I guess there's other too, but I can't remember right now.

Comment

Oops, I spelled Chief wrong! At least I spelled Clouseau right! Peter Sellers is one of my all time favorite actors. Completely lame and yet, he always seemed to make me laugh. I'm not one for slap stick humor - but the scene where he says "does your dog bite, and the man replies no... he then reaches his hand out to the nice dog and the dog snarled and nipped at him. He replied "I thought you said your dog doesn't bite... to which the man replies "it's not my dog"

Makes me giggle everytime!

Lisa

P.S.
        David Jansen and Harry-O was one of my favorite detectives.

Comment

David Jansen was quite cool, but that's not quite the roll I loved him in...............

Peter was a classic and I feel as you about slap stick, hate A. Sandler, though I just heard today, he was in a award winning film at Cannes.

Comment

Nick Charles -- smart, funny, good judge of character. Knew how to relax, enjoy life, succeed without changing his friends or spouse, and to maintain the trust of his dog.

Miss Marple -- female, old, smart.

John Steed and Lady Emma Peel -- cool, humorous, smart, adept at dealing with evil henchmen and killer robots, birds, etc.

Charlie Chan -- able to catch murderers in spite of #1 son.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ Swartz
              Nick Charles -- smart, funny, good judge of character. Knew how to relax, enjoy life, succeed without changing his friends or spouse, and to maintain the trust of his dog.

Miss Marple -- female, old, smart.

John Steed and Lady Emma Peel -- cool, humorous, smart, adept at dealing with evil henchmen and killer robots, birds, etc.

Charlie Chan -- able to catch murderers in spite of #1 son.
              Do you keep changing your avitar or am I having acid flashbacks?

Comment

Do you keep changing your avatar or am I having acid flashbacks?
                Might be both.

Comment

I think I'd vote for Peter Falk's Columbo character... and yes I often come across as bumbling and a little forgetful!

FUGITIVE: Speaking of John D. McDonald, did you ever read The Girl, The Gold Watch and Everything ? Not one of the Travis McGee series, but exceptionally entertaining -- and a very "out there" theme for a book written in the 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyRaphael
                    I think I'd vote for Peter Falk's Columbo character... and yes I often come across as bumbling and a little forgetful!

FUGITIVE: Speaking of John D. McDonald, did you ever read The Girl, The Gold Watch and Everything ? Not one of the Travis McGee series, but exceptionally entertaining -- and a very "out there" theme for a book written in the 60's.
                    Well, yes I did read it, but I don't remember it. I went through a period in the '80s where I read almost everything from certain authors, he was one. Also Michner, Ludlum, King, Koontz, Cusler, and lots more.

Comment

Senior member?

Hot damn, a senior member. You know something, I don't think I could recomend any club that would allow me to become a senior member, let alone, in a week.
                      Thanks Doug, I'll try to live up to my new vaunted statis.
                      Is that a real word?
                      Got something new to talk about, but it's too late tonite.

Comment

Lt. Columbo, no question about it. He has style. I still wait for new Columbo movies to come out but until then I watch the reruns when they're on. Love that guy.
                        DJ

Comment

Danny, DJ
                          count me absolutely in for Lt. Columbo.... .. I absolutely love him... and feel very akin to whomever is forgetful and, apparently, disorganized..

CJ
                          Ms. Marple is also one of my favourite...but I have to admit being very partial to Hercules Poirot too...

Doug
                          I don't know "Daryl Zero"....
                          Nero Wolfe is a real "fuoriclasse" (top-notcher?...in a class of his own?)...but I love Inspector Morse too..

Lisa
                          Chief Inspector Clouseau....
                          Makes me giggle everytime!
                          ....too..

Fugitive
                          I also went through :Ludlum, King, Koontz, Follet....and many more...

.....In case nobody noticed.....

I love mistery, crime stories!!!!

Comment

Columbo is the man.. I keep a few on tape for slow times on TV..
                            You got to love a sleeper as smart as that character.

Jerry

Comment

Re: Who is your favorite detective?

Originally posted by Doug Nelson

I have a theory that our entertainment heroes illustrate our own unfulfilled wishes about ourselves. Does your choice of a detective say anything about you?
                              My favorite detective is Jeremy Brett's portrayal of Sherlock Holmes...not sure what, if anything, that says about me!

Comment