Horror movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horror movies

I was going to post this as a 'guilty pleasure', but I actually don't feel all that guilty about it: I love a good horror movie.

I just watched "Cube" and can recommend it (kind of gross, but excellent production values).

I'll pass on most horror series, although I did like the 6th "Friday the 13th" installment (great line with two kids hiding under a bed while Jason clears away the other campers: "So, what did you want to be when you grew up?")
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Anything with Christopher Lee and a castle in it !

Comment

I loved Silence of the Lambs but I'm not sure if it was listed as horror. Hannibel was such a good book I didn't have the courage to watch it in the movies. Some of it turned my stomach just reading it.
      Other than that, I'm not much for slasher films like Freddy Kruger (saw one of those) but I do like Stephen King horror movies and Sci-Fi horror like the Alien series with Segourney Weaver. And spooky paranormal type horror films. Oh ya, love werewolf and vampire ones too. Old new, doesn't matter.
      DJ

Comment

Oh MAN I love scary movies. Not the ones that have gore just for the sake of it, but the ones that are plain ol' out & out FRIGHTENING!

I absolutely devour horror books. I used to gobble up Stephen King stuff as fast as he could write them, but not so much for the past few years since he seemed to be grasping for story lines. I'm a fan of Dean Koontz too.

My favorite scary movie EVER has to be John Carpenter's "THE THING" with Kurt Russell. I can watch that movie over and over and it STILL creeps me out and scares the willies outta me!

The neatest part is that it's not gory or really gross. It's just SCARY.

And any Hitchcock movie will get me goin', but I particularly like "THE BIRDS".

Comment

I liked an old, obscure, Roddy McDowell film called The Legend of Hell House! I think it was made sometime in the early 70's.

Then there is the classic Exorcist! There was also another obscure film that had Karen Black (Scary looking eyes) as one of the stars which was called Burnt Offerings, that was a pretty good one!

Randy

Comment

I read Stephen King is going blind so retiring from writing.

Also, I read about a possible sequel to "the Thing" (Carpenter version). That was a good movie. Notice how everyone has some sort of jewelry, but the thing can't duplicate jewelry, so watch for that in the absolute last scene (which one is a thing?).
            Learn by teaching
            Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
              That was a good movie. Notice how everyone has some sort of jewelry, but the thing can't duplicate jewelry, so watch for that in the absolute last scene (which one is a thing?).
              All the times I've watched that and never noticed the jewelry... I'll check that out next time.

I really love the scene where they're all tied up and their blood's being tested in the petrie dishes with a hot paper clip. I've probably watched it a hundred times, and I STILL jump nearly out of my skin. It scares me every time! It is just so cool...

I'd almost hate to see them do a sequel to it. I think it ended in just the perfect spot. That's the best part of the whole thing, IMHO - the fact that JC didn't wrap up that ending in a neat little predictable package.

Comment

I saw "Jaws" on the big screen when I was about 10 and it scared the living crap out of me. I'll be 36 this month and to this day, if I'm in the ocean or Gulf and something so much as seaweed brushes against my leg, I'm screaming like a girl.

I did see a dorsal fin once about 30 feet away from me when I was in Galveston. I did manage to stay calm long enough
                to observe that it was actually a dolphin. I was pretty proud of me that day.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Taylor
                  I'll be 36 this month and to this day, if I'm in the ocean or Gulf and something so much as seaweed brushes against my leg, I'm screaming like a girl.
                  I did manage to stay calm long enough
                  to observe that it was actually a dolphin. I was pretty proud of me that day.
                  Jeez, I know what you mean! Me and my sis even refused to get in the tub for a long time after seeing that one. It was either showers or stay dirty...

Funny thing is, I watched it again not long ago, and even though the shark is a bit dated now, it still got to me. Jaws was definately a good movie.

I'd like to see that "screaming like a girl thing" - I can't scream good. I always wished I could. I've seen little documentary thingys about voice overs for commercials and movies and the like - they even hire good screamers for such things. I have a fairly rich alto voice, and so when I go to shriek, it sounds more like a wounded moose playing a bassoon or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Jakaleena
                    ..when I go to shriek, it sounds more like a wounded moose playing a bassoon or something...

Comment

Oh that is hiliarious Steve. I saw Jaws at the movies when I was living in Michigan and I wouldn't go in the Lake after seeing Jaws. So I know how you feel.

Jak, you're a riot.
                      DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Dubovsky
                        I saw Jaws at the movies when I was living in Michigan and I wouldn't go in the Lake after seeing Jaws.
                        DJ
                        My mom says the same thing DJ! She is from Chicago and would not go near Lake Michigan after seeing Jaws. The power that movie had on people is amazing!

Comment

Jaws was great!! It didn't really scare me off from water or anything though. I guess it just didn't affect me that much because it was older special effects, and I could really tell.

- David

Comment

And that music!!! Who can here that music without picturing a shark sneaking up on you? I don't recall if the composer got an Oscar for that score but he sure should have.
                            DJ

Comment

I don't recall if the composer got an Oscar for that score but he sure should have
                              Yes, John Williams earned a Best Score Oscar for "Jaws".
                              Attached Files

Comment