No announcement yet.

Twisty movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw "Lucky Number Slevin", excellent twists (more than the typical twist count, as well).
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Two of my favourite films that are full of twisty goodness and deliciously unsettling in that 'subtle yet unrelenting' kind of way. "Donnie Darko" and an Aussie film "Alexandra's Project" highly recomended.

Comment

Not mentioned yet..."The 6th day" and "Collateral Damage" . It's an Arnold Swarzenegger movie, I know, but has a surprising twist to it. In Collateral Damage, don't remember him firing a gun, that's another surprise.

"One Hour Photo" - Robin Williams

"What lies beneath" - Harrison Ford & Michelle Pfeiffer

"Hide and Seek" - Robert Deniro

Most recent, I expect "The DaVinci Code". Skipped this one when it was showing because I've read the book. I'll probably rent the DVD after 2 years.

Comment

'House of Games' is an exceptional movie - with one twist after another, right up to the very final scene.

It's a David Mamet movie from 1987 - which should give you a good idea of what kind of movie it is.

Incidentally, Mamet also made 'Glengarry Glen Ross', which is another truly excellent movie - also with quite a few great twists.

They're both slightly more leftfield than the movies that have generally been mentioned in this thread so far, so I thought it's possible you may not be familiar with them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093223/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104348/

Enjoy

Comment

U - Turn with Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Jennifer Lopez, Joaquin Phoenix. Wickedly fun film, 1997.

Comment

oh come on...the most obvious..."lost highway"...or any david lynch film for that matter....hehehe the man is psychotically brilliant

edit:...yes, uturn...any movie that opens with a ween song playing is my kind of movie

Comment

No Way Out (1987)

The movie ends with an extremely surprising plot twist.

Comment

Re: Twisty movies

Just saw "Where the Truth Lies". Any Atom Agoyan film would qualify as twisty, though. He's unusually adept at pulling the rug out from under you. Everything will make perfect sense, then "whoops", then it makes even more sense and "whoops". But he never cheats, and it's all tied up in the end, albeit sometimes in ways we wish it weren't.
                  Learn by teaching

Comment

Running Scared is one of my favorite movies it has several metaphors to fairytale stories, mainly Pinocchio, and has a twisting plot

Comment

"The Perfect Host" totally caught me off guard. I was expecting a black comedy or maybe even a horror movie but it ended up being the twistiest movie I've seen in years! I can't even describe why I liked it as it might ruin one of the gazillion twists.
                      Learn by teaching

Comment

Originally posted by stevek View Post
                        'House of Games' is an exceptional movie - with one twist after another, right up to the very final scene.

It's a David Mamet movie from 1987 - which should give you a good idea of what kind of movie it is.

Incidentally, Mamet also made 'Glengarry Glen Ross', which is another truly excellent movie - also with quite a few great twists.

They're both slightly more leftfield than the movies that have generally been mentioned in this thread so far, so I thought it's possible you may not be familiar with them.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093223/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104348/

Enjoy
                        I have to agree on House Of Games...... many twists all the way through the film.......excellent.

Comment

"Triangle" is on cable this month. I can't even describe the plot without ruining some of the twists (and there are more than you think). Suffice it to say: a woman with an autistic son goes on a sailing boat trip, and things do not go well

I had to rewatch it again to see if it was playing fair. It was, mostly. And any "cheating" can be easily explained away by the internal rules (which are the best part, I've never seen this particular set of rules before).
                          Learn by teaching

Comment

Millenium? Or Being There?

Comment