Dancer in the Dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancer in the Dark

Yet another, "has anyone seen this"? My brother and his wife really want to rent it but can't seem to find a copy (she is a big Bjork fan). I was going to buy it for them as a gift but wondered if it's worth it?....I heard good things but that is is a little strange as far as genre. (part musical and part drama?)

I liked it, even though I was virtually certain I wouldn't. It's definitely not a cheerful, fun movie, though. It's beautiful in a dark, dreary way, but also quite brutal.

The music is haunting and beautiful (typical for Bjork), but used here in an ironic and sad way. The expected disjointedness of musical and drama never occurs. The musical numbers make perfect sense in context.

Basically, a woman's life is so horrible, she escapes into her daydreams (the musical segments). The worse things get in her life (and they get pretty darn bad), the more thrilling and excellent the musical numbers become.

And don't go hoping for a feel-good ending.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

I have to say, even though the musical element was a big point in the movie, I didn't care for it. I like some of Bjork's music, but in the movie it got to be too screechy for me. BUT, I thought it was a really great movie that I will probably never watch again, because I cried and cried about it. Very sad.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• winwintoo
        Movie Stinker
        by winwintoo
        I have three grandchildren, so I end up seeing a lot of children's movies. We eagerly awaited the release of Lilo & Stitch thinking it was a cuddly lost dog kind of movie.

The only cuddly parts are what is shown in all the tv ads that we've been inundated with.

The...
        06-23-2002, 07:05 PM
      • Mike
        Prairie Home Companion
        by Mike
        I finally got to see it. I am a huge fan of the radio show, and thought it was really good especially the ending.

Anyone else?

Mike
        08-16-2006, 09:48 PM
      • PatrickB
        Any Equilibrium fans around?
        by PatrickB
        Hi all,

since I am a big big fan of this movie and I was a little bored today I thought I'd setup some nice wallpapers about this flick.

If somebody wants to use 'em, feel free to do so and distribute

Located at http://www.patrickbaer.com/equilibrium/...
        07-14-2005, 07:31 PM
      • Doug Nelson
        Horror movies
        by Doug Nelson
        I was going to post this as a 'guilty pleasure', but I actually don't feel all that guilty about it: I love a good horror movie.

I just watched "Cube" and can recommend it (kind of gross, but excellent production values).

I'll pass on most horror series, although...
        06-03-2002, 10:57 AM
      • Craig Walters
        A somewhat strange movie
        by Craig Walters
        i hadnt rented any movies in a while, so i thought i'd take a wander down to the local vid shop. i had vaguely heard of the name of this movie and even seen one brief review that said go ahead and rent it. so, ok, i rented it. the movie was "Kung Fu Hustle". now, that name in itself shld warn...
        08-21-2005, 09:58 PM
      Working...
      X