Sleeper Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeper Movies

Do you have a sleeper movie that has become a favorite of yours? If so pass it on. Maybe others will enjoy it too. No "Gone With The Wind", "Citizen Kane", etc. Here's mine:

"The Earthling"
    No, it's not a science fiction movie as the title might suggest. The movie is about a young boy (Ricky Schroeder at about 8 years old), and a dying man (William Holden) who is trying to get back to his birthplace to die. It takes place in Australia, and the boy was vacationing with his parents in a motor home. When it was parked next to a cliff, the motor home slipped into neutral, and fell over the cliff. The parents were killed, and the boy was in shock. The wreckage was found by the man, who didn't have much time to get to his destination. The story is about the relationship between the two as they walked across mountainous country trying to get to the man's destination. My description might not sound exciting, but the movie became one of my all time favorites. It focuses on survival skills for the boy, and what begins as a rocky relationship between the two. You can probably pick this up at the video store at a bargain price.

Ed
    Last edited by Ed_L; 12-02-2001, 03:08 PM.

This may be a dumb question but what exactly qualifies as a "Sleeper Movie"?
    DJ

Comment

Hi Ed and DJ --

I thought a sleeper movie was one that wasn't expected to take off at the box office, but, in fact, did. Of course, now with videos, not many movies last very long in the theaters. I'm not a movie buff, and I hate going to the theaters, so I'm a great fan of video rentals.

My all-time favorite is "Benny and Joon." This might be considered a sleeper -- or maybe it's just one that very few people have heard of or seen. It stars Johnny Depp (sigh), Mary Stewart Masterson and Aiden Quinn. It's a romance comedy about a girl (Joon) who suffered a mental breakdown and is being taken care of by her brother (Benny). Into their lives walks Sam (Johnny Depp (sigh)), and he's as strange as Joon. Actually Joon lost at a card game and won Sam as the result. His cousin, with whom he lived, was trying to get rid of him.

It's wacky, funny, sad and touching. I'd highly recommend this movie and any movie that Johnny Depp (sigh) has made

PS to Ed -- From your description, The Earthling sounds like one that I would like to see.

Comment

Debbie,

Sleeper movie = a movie that most people haven't heard of, or one that that wasn't expected to do very well at the box office.

Lorraine,

Pick it up. I can almost guarantee you'll enjoy it.

ed

Comment

Silent Running, and The Stunt Man

Plus here's a link to my #1 favorite alltime website run by someone other than me, the site that inspired this one (in a way), and the site I still use as my browser homepage: http://www.imdb.com
          Learn by teaching
          Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Great idea for a thread Ed. Mine has to be "Somewhere In Time" which starred Christopher Reeves and Jane Seymour. It takes place at a summer resort on Mackinow Island which I think is somewhere in upper Michigan. It's about a man who goes back in time to find a woman he loves. Really lovely movie. Incidentally,I dragged my reluctant husband to see Harry Potter the other day. Ordinarily I'm disappointed when I see a movie made out of a book but this was an exception. It was well done with some nice special effects and even my husbandwho prefers westerns,spy and war movies admitted enjoying it.
            PC

Comment

Doug,
              Thanks for the site. Can't wait to check it out further.Noticed that they are featuring the film"Das Boot". Forgot about that one. What an extraordinary film that was. I ordinarily don't enjoy subtitled movies but that was really an exception.
              PC

Comment

Citizen X. It stars Donald Southerland(spelling?) and is a fact based semi-documentary about the hunt for a Soviet serial killer. Excellent acting and based on facts, it is disturbing--no graphic violence or that sort of stuff--just very psychologically intense--so be warned. Probably not acceptable for young viewers. Tom

Comment

Anybody seen 'Day of the Jackal' an assasination attempt on De Gaulle thwarted by the French police. One of the few book adaptations that did the original justice.

PC, I saw Das Boot a few years ago and it has gradually aquired cult status over here, everyday life and death in the U Boat fleet graphically portrayed by a cast of unknowns.

Comment

one of mine's shadowlands. anthony hopkins/deborah winger. marriage of convenience transformed to marriage of love @ high cost. true story. but it'd make a rock cry .

Comment

Just about any entry from the "eccentric irish/english/scottish/welsh village" genre. My favorite that comes to mind is "Brassed Off" (plus it has some excellent music).
                      Learn by teaching

Comment

Three Seasons!

This is one of the very few movies made about and shot in "modern" Viet Nam that is not about war. The cinematography is stunning and the movie is as close to the "real" Viet Nam as I think a movie can get. (The only thing missing is the smells. ) Don't miss it!
                        Jeanie

Comment

My own understanding of "sleeper" is a movie that has disappointing sales initially, but later finds some loyal audience (though not necessarily enough to make a lot of profit). In a more generic sense it can be any movie that did poorly but we still love. Not, however, to be confused with a "guilty pleasure" movie, which would be an entirely different thread <hint>.
                          Learn by teaching

Comment

Could you define "guilty pleasure" before we hear of some movies that might be best left off the site?

Ed

Comment

Movies you're embarrassed (or at least know you should be) to admit enjoying.
                              Learn by teaching

Comment