New forum suggestions?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New forum suggestions?

I'm thinking of adding some new forums, and I'd like to get your input on forums you think would be:

a) useful
    b) popular
    c) relevant
    d) not already adequately covered in another RP forum

This isn't a vote, and I might end up not adding any at all, but I would like to hear from you.

In case you're not clear on what forums and subforums are currently available, click here.
    Last edited by Doug Nelson; 09-18-2006, 01:50 PM.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

How about a general photography improvements forum. This would help out amateur and "point and shoot" photographers with tips on gaining the most from images they have taken

I'm a member of quite a few photography forums, and have pointed them to tips on a few things here. But a forum dedicated to improving their images in general, would be great.
    Something like what I did with the images below (Before and after)
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: New forum suggestions?

After joining the retouchpro.com I can say
      that it is very very useful place to be an
      expert photoshop retoucher.

One Lack I've found that I did not see
      good tutorials to make already good photo to
      more good of any male. Generally all tutorials applied
      only on woman or girl.

I think there must be some attention and we can start
      the new forum.

Ashkumar

Comment

A separate forum for:
        1. Coloring
        2. Glamour Retouch

I know you're only asking for new forums but maybe we can do away with the Image Help Forum because it's thread seemed to cross over the other forums Photo Restoration, Retouching, Compositing and Photo-Based Art.

Just a thought.
        Last edited by soleah; 12-01-2006, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Doug

I think two areas that folks may find useful would be Scanning (Getting best images INTO your image editing program), and Printing (Getting the best images OUT of your editing program).

Comment

Hi Doug.

I have just joined MRU. They have a learning ‘University’. You join as a ‘freshman’ and work your way up through the ranks to a ‘guru’ (Like Gary)

There are homework questions that are marked by ‘Teachers’ and as you pass the ‘tests’ you slowly work your way up through the ranks and your status changes.

This means that you know how much a person has learnt by their avatar and not by the number of posts.

I think this is a great way to learn.

So I suggest a Retouching University.

People could come from other forums to pass the ‘Exams’ and their status could be transferred back to their ‘home’ forum.

Ken.

Comment

ken,

what is 'MRU'?

Comment

Hi Craig

MRU is the Malware Removal University at www.malwareremoval.com

If you visit the site a lot of rooms are hidden from you until you are accepted into the university and then all the discussion rooms and learning rooms become available.

Here is where I first joined and Gary cleaned my friends’ laptop (public room archive)
                http://forum.malwareremoval.com/viewtopic.php?t=15430

Trainees are not allowed to post repairs to the public until they reach a certain level, but there is a hidden shadowboard.

Not all these ideas would work for a retouching university but I think the idea of some exams and the level you are at under your name could work well.
                It could also be used on the persons own web pages. “RetouchPro Honors Graduate” on a retouching website would let the public know that they have reached a standard.

There is Adobe certification but nothing specific to retouching/restoration.

In fact we could have several courses retouching, restoration etc. Extra bonus marks could be obtained by the amount of participation and helpfulness a person has within the forums.

It’s a lot of work but who better than RetouchPro to do it.

Ken.

Comment

I like that idea Ken, not just as a way to establish member cred but also a great way to encourage participation and interactivity.

Doug, how about a dedicated "How do I acheive the [Joe Blogg's] look/technique?" forum?

Comment

Mr. Moderator (Hand raised high in the rear begging to ask question). Mr. Moderator or Mrs. (sorry). You may wish to move this post but I'm gonna spill the words here. I love this site. I love the diversity of work and people. I love the fact that there is everything from just picked up the mouse to been around it for years. I have very little complaint but ONE............

People please...... Coming from the standpoint of a dyed in the wool traditionalist who has successfully added the digital realm to my knowledge base and especially from the standpoint of a person who teaches on the college level and below.......I beg you, on my knees beg you.......Please comment on others work. Artists thrive on that. I don't care if you absolutely hate something I did. Hate it and tell me why. Be constructive. We all can learn and make the most out of this tool as we can. I think a lot of folks are missing the boat on what they have right here at there fingertips. A wealth of knowledge and know-how. I will bend over backwards to offer help, advice whatever. Thicken up your skins and talk. We all need it. I don't care if you are just a point and shoot amateur. If you have a comment about an ad I did for a major company, lay it out there. It takes all types. Peace to you all.
                    Chris

Comment

Sweetlight

I find my time is often limited, but I do try to comment on people's work as often as possible. Good, bad, indifferent. By my age, your skin gets like leather... LOL

Comment

Swampy,
                        Just to clarify, I was saying the RP group as a whole should make greater attempts at critique, constructive criticism, 'at boys etc... We have so much talent bouncing around here it's ashamed it sometimes just sits idle.

Thanks for the reply and your skin looks lovely
                        c

Comment

Hi Sweetlight,

There can be a whole raft of reasons that people don't critique other people's work, I list just a few.

1. Don't feel qualified to judge.
                          2. Don't have anything constructive to say that hasn't already been said by someone else.
                          3. Don't have any real opinion on the work submitted.
                          4. Don't want to say something negative and destroy the poster's confidence.
                          5. Don't have time to scrutinise the submitted work properly because of their often busy schedules.
                          6. Don't like making critiques in general.

There are I'm sure lots more.

Given this, it's not suprising that works do not always get as much feedback as the poster may want.

I agree with you that any critique is valuable if taken in the right way, but you cannot force the issue, members will critique if they wish, and at their convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Richardson
                            1. Don't feel qualified to judge.
                            2. Don't have anything constructive to say that hasn't already been said by someone else.
                            3. Don't have any real opinion on the work submitted.
                            4. Don't want to say something negative and destroy the poster's confidence.
                            5. Don't have time to scrutinise the submitted work properly because of their often busy schedules.
                            6. Don't like making critiques in general.
                            Add laziness to the mix and that's me too.

Actually, I don't mind critiques. I can usually tell if the person really means something and if it comes from a genuine desire to be helpful. But I can also tell those than nitpick, are generally critical of everyone and everything, and last, but not least, are mean spirited. Others may not take the words with a grain of salt.

Since art (that is where I spend most of my time) is subjective, I may or may not like something that is truly a masterpiece, and therefore may or may not feel inclined to comment based on my personal preferences.

Also, in a long line of submissions, I might only find one I can comment on with any degree of truth. I choose not to try and put false comments on those I don't like. To that end, I usually pm a person if I really like something rather than make only one comment in a dozen submissions.

My two cents worth,

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Petty
                              Add laziness to the mix and that's me too.

Actually, I don't mind critiques. I can usually tell if the person really means something and if it comes from a genuine desire to be helpful. But I can also tell those than nitpick, are generally critical of everyone and everything, and last, but not least, are mean spirited. Others may not take the words with a grain of salt.

Since art (that is where I spend most of my time) is subjective, I may or may not like something that is truly a masterpiece, and therefore may or may not feel inclined to comment based on my personal preferences.

Also, in a long line of submissions, I might only find one I can comment on with any degree of truth. I choose not to try and put false comments on those I don't like. To that end, I usually pm a person if I really like something rather than make only one comment in a dozen submissions.

My two cents worth,

Janet
                              Janet, to me your comments just about say it all. If you look at the art masters you can find things that you don't like and that you would have done differently. Art is one of those "eye of the beholder" things that will greatly please one person and turn others off.

I have posted things that I really think I have done unusually good work on, only to get no comment at all. And the reverse is true too, things I think are only fair will get the most positive feedback.

There is not much bad work done here, most is well done. And I am never critical of any work unless the person has asked for suggestions etc. And I don't usually say I like something unless I REALLY like something. You can be sure if I give positive comment on anyone's work, to me it's special.

I sometimes miss thanking someone for making a nice comment on a posting of mine, but believe me, I appreciate all I get.

Steve C.

Comment

Working...
                              X