No announcement yet.

We're moving

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• Doug Nelson
    Early Warning: we're moving!
    by Doug Nelson
    Just so no one freaks out when it happens, I'm posting this early warning: some time in the next 30 days we'll be moving servers. This means the site will be completely closed for a couple of days, plus it will take anywhere from 1 to 4 days for everyone to be able to see the new location. Those who...
    06-16-2003, 02:55 PM
  • jeaniesa
    Hey Arura! (about travel in Viet Nam)
    by jeaniesa
    Hi Arura,

I thought I'd move the discussion of VN travel over here so that we don't clutter up the Critiques thread with off-topic discussion. Anything goes over here in Salon though!

Wow - 5 weeks to see VN! That sounds about right. I brought my mother with me in...
    06-14-2002, 01:28 PM
  • Doug Nelson
    Honor System
    by Doug Nelson
    By Doug Nelson (doug) on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 03:44 am:

I'm sure you've all noticed the ugly little banner at the bottom left of every page. This is Amazon.com's "Honor System" service.

I've had a lot of people recommend I join this service, but I fought...
    08-08-2001, 01:00 PM
  • Doug Nelson
    Site Update 10/29/2007
    by Doug Nelson
    If you can read this, you're on our new dedicated server!

You should notice everything is a lot snappier from now on, and no slowdowns or downtime (so they promise me).

I know, I know, I said I was going to move the servers this weekend, and that it might mean days of downtime....
    10-29-2007, 07:12 AM
  • jeaniesa
    I miss my cable connection!
    by jeaniesa
    I've been out of touch the past few days since I got caught in the [email protected]/AT&T fiasco. I've been without my usual internet access since Saturday and "borrowing" my relatives AOL accounts to log on - but it isn't the same! Most people affected are either already hooked back up to...
    12-06-2001, 11:06 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're moving

As I promised, the funds generated by the recent donation drive are being used to move us to a new and much better webserver. In fact, we're moving to the best one I could find, with an excellent reputation for reliability and support.

Right now I'm planning for the move to be a week or so from now, around July 15. So, if you sign on and we're gone or something looks seriously weird, don't panic, you just caught us in mid-move and should try back in an hour or so. We'll also have to shut down the forums for a few hours then, but there will be a message explaining what's going on.

I'll also be using this opportunity to upgrade some things, change some things, and install some new features.

My primary concern is that this obligates us in a couple of ways: we'll have to come up with these funds next year (and the year after, etc.), plus this new server will allow us to grow, but not for free ("you can have quality or quantity, pick one"). So don't get complacent, thinking it's done and in the past. Your financial support is an ongoing need to keep us online and ad-free. Click on 'Support' on the menubar for details.

A lesser concern, but still a concern, is that all the renewal licenses for the software that drives this thing will be coming due this upcoming quarter. Again, click on "Support" and do what you can.

So remember, don't freak out during the week of July 15 (at least not for anything RP-related), and keep on supporting our growth.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Just a reminder, so everyone doesn't freak out Monday when they can't access the forums.
    Learn by teaching

Comment

If everyone hasn't subscribed to the Updates thread , please do now. There's going to be so many additions and changes, that's the only way you'll keep up them.
      Learn by teaching

Comment

If you can read this, our move was successful

Let me know via email or PM if you experience any weirdness (any new weirdness, that is)
        Learn by teaching

Comment

Cool! I can read it.

Ed

Comment

If I didn't have my glasses, then the move was unsuccessful?

Just trying to figure out the logic here. I think I got it, don't I?

Comment

Took two days for the University of Pretoria's proxy server to pick up the new page, and my home ISP picked it up immediately.

Comment

Yippee! My ISP has finally picked up the new pages.

Comment

old challanges

Doug I'm just wondering what happened to the old challanges
                  I couldn't find a link to them?

Great job to all who designed this new site

Comment

Don -- if you use the menu on the left of your screen, the Challenges are still there - Click on "Challenges" and a page will come up with links to the new Challenges (37 - current) and the older Challenges - #1-36.

It's set up for each of the Challenge areas

Example:

Restoration Challenges:
                    Challenges #37 - current Challenges #1 - #36

Comment

old challanges

sorry CJ had a brain ------! problem thanks for the help

Comment

Don -- hope you'll be around when my next brain ---- occurs!

Comment

Working...
                        X