If retouchpro.com had a million dollars

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• cruel.frames
    RetouchPro Live from outside USA thoughts
    by cruel.frames
    Hello,

I am in Germany and as many other non-american members would love to watch some of the past shows. I know that YouTube offers the rentals only for the US and that you can't do anything about that. Fair enough. But is it really YouTube the only option? I doubt that.

01-30-2011, 09:21 AM
  • Doug Nelson
    Reasons for not guesting on RetouchPRO LIVE
    by Doug Nelson
    I thought you might enjoy reading some of the reasons I've been offered for declining my offer of appearing as a guest artist on RetouchPRO LIVE.

I suspect many of them are actually tactful ways of saying "who are you, go away, stop wasting my time", but still I thought some...
    06-14-2015, 09:05 AM
  • winwintoo
    OK, now what do I do??
    by winwintoo
    Those of you who've followed my somewhat checkered career, know that I've done some volunteering at the local Seniors' center in the computer lab and even did a couple of stand-up routines based on PhotoShop Elements - to rave reviews I might add

I've had several requests from...
    03-30-2005, 12:00 PM
  • Doug Nelson
    Twitter shows
    by Doug Nelson
    I've got a rough idea brewing in the back of my mind about live informal shows happening at random times. Something like "for the next hour we're all editing the same image" or "right now we're sharing our latest projects".

Luckily we live in the age of Twitter, where...
    11-17-2014, 12:46 PM
  • Doug Nelson
    Site Update 05/05/18
    by Doug Nelson
    Congratulations on making it to the new server location! As you can see, many things have changed.

We're on the newest version of the forum software, and it will be perpetually upgraded so we will always be up to date. RP isn't going anywhere for years to come.

There are many...
    05-05-2018, 11:49 AM
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If retouchpro.com had a million dollars

lynda.com just got bought for $1.5 billion dollars. dpreview got bought by amazon some time back. petapixel, fstoppers, model mayhem, all have corporate investors behind them.

retouchpro.com is just me working out of a spare bedroom. I've tried to find investors, but we're seen as some sort of neckbearded backwater (at least to corporate types).

But I can daydream.

Here's what I dream about doing if I had sufficient fundage:

I'd ditch this particular forum software. I'm trapped into it due to it having the only integrated 3rd-party plugin support 10 years ago. Now I can't afford to move away from it (or even upgrade it). I can barely afford the monthly maintenance. There are many features I'd like to add (and subtract), but it would take a minimum 3-person fulltime programming staff to do them.

I'd hire a fulltime booker for RetouchPRO LIVE. Doing the live shows is the highlight of my week. I'd do a daily show if I could. Everything leading up to showday I dread. Finding presenters, educating them on what RP LIVE is, convincing them to work for free, teaching them the basics of presentation and how the software works, it's just exhausting. Particularly since only about 1 in 10 respond at all, and probably 1 in 100 of those actually end up on air.

Of course things would also be easier if I could just go back to paying the presenters. That's how the rental videos got made, and why they're still not free (but still worth it, IMO). But the market moved to both needing to pay presenters AND give the shows away for free, which is why I stopped doing them for awhile.

And of course, now that I'd have this staff of people and I'm doing a daily live show, I'd need some more staff to keep things running smoothly. And more staff to keep things growing and profitable.

15 years ago I imagined retouchpro.com would eventually have an educational track, a certification association, a jobs clearinghouse, a prestigious portfolio address, a publishing imprint, and many other things.

I haven't given up on any of that, but I also realize I've got quite a bit of dust on me from those passing me by.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Re: If retouchpro.com had a million dollars

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
    I'd ditch this particular forum software. I'm trapped into it due to it having the only integrated 3rd-party plugin support 10 years ago. Now I can't afford to move away from it (or even upgrade it). I can barely afford the monthly maintenance. There are many features I'd like to add (and subtract), but it would take a minimum 3-person fulltime programming staff to do them.
    Doug, you could create new landing page on the domain (index.php for example) with new futures, images, graphics, slideshow etc. - with menu linked to different parts of the site. You can keep this forum alive this way and develop new futures beside it without even touching the forum code.

People want to see images & videos on the main page and this is great opportunity to advertise your YT videos through photographs. If they don't see them, they will not find them. People are lazy to read =)
    Last edited by creativeretouch; 04-25-2015, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X