• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    ljl269

• ljl269
    replied
    Different paths

Glad it's OK now.

If a fast server is down, ur packets will be sent to slower alternates. Distance is unimportant since packets go at speed of light.
    I once traced a route that was Fl > Ga > England > USSR > China ... Ca > Va !! This was faster than an all USA route that it later had to take.

See http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2310 re ROUTER.

HTH-Larry

Leave a comment:

• Mosha
    replied
    Hi HTH-Larry.-

Thanks for your tip, I'll try to follow your advice, though I must tell you that for the moment, everything is working ok again (cross my fingers for it to last)
    But I'll keep monitoring it.

Mosha

Leave a comment:

• ljl269

• ljl269
    replied
    Trace Route

Similar to a PING, this will tell you where ur packets r going & how long it takes. Serves to keep u from wondering if it's ur browser & u might be amazed. Search Google 2 find site that does this.

http://www.dslreports.com/tools will allow u to test ur connect speeds vs others in ur area (Mine is INSANE!). Test during non-peak hrs- makes 100% difference

HTH-Larry

Leave a comment:

• Mosha
    replied
    Thanks Mark:

Well guys, It's official, I BELONG SOMEWHERE!!! I belong to the "Foreign RP problematic connection fighters League", and the bad news is that all of us in this forum which are "foreign" to the US are members of this League. (I told you I was going mad from frustration not beeing able to work and learn from RP, so you will have to excuse me).
    I've tried connecting through a DSL wide band connection, (at the office) and still have the pbroblem, so after reviewing all the facts, I came to the conclusion that it has to do with something related to our different countries Internet connections.

Be brave my friends, and don't dispair....
    Love to all
    Mosha ( smilie winking), (remember I can't even see the smilies)

Leave a comment:

• Mark Slater

• Mark Slater
    replied
    Good luck Mosha,
    Hey I like your quote!
    My connection improved when I went to broadband. I don't think it was the better bandwidth - simply a different ISP, so the routing was changed. To back up this thought: I had a speed limited plan so I was down to 28.8 for part of last month and could still access RetouchPro without problem.
    I'm guessing it was one or more congested servers somewhere along the line that was causing the problem for me. I never did find out for sure.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• freelancer

• freelancer
    replied
    Hi

To clear your cache in IE6

Tools/Internet Options/General Tab

Temporary Internet Files/Delete Files

Leave a comment:

• Mosha
    replied
    Fiuuuu!!!

Friends:
    Don't take this the wrong way -- finally some sort of an answer!!!, and I am not the only one -- I thought I was going "nuts". Are we all from countries otuside the US? The same thing has been happening to me for the past 3 days and you wouldn't beleve all the things I've done...everything but formatting my machine. We have a say here in Mexico which says "mal de muchos, consuelo de tontos", "when many are at a loss, only a fool finds confort" well sort of, it looses some in the translation.
    How can I flush the cache...I've never done it, sorry

Mosha

Leave a comment:

• Mark Slater

• Mark Slater
    replied
    Paris,
    I'm still getting the problem, but it's irregular. Sometimes no repsonse at all, at others - just slow, and yet other times all OK. It has improved though for me.
    The number of times where pages won't load is much less now, but I don't think it's been any setting I've changed my end.
    Posting this reply was at normal speed and during the time of day and week where I've previously found it difficult.
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Paris
    replied
    Site Access

So far have tried all the suggestions listed in this section, but sadly still experiencing difficulties.

Mark and Flora, have you managed to solve your issues with access? If so, would you be so kind as to tell me how.

Any and all suggestions most welcome.

**Paris**

Leave a comment:

• Flora

• Flora
    replied
    Hi all!

....Since about an hour I'm back to my "usual" Location which is Italy .... Here I have DSL connection and everything works perfectly (well nearly!!! .... )

I've had, and probably will have, the 'problem' while located in South Africa (where I've been for the last month and where I'm on a Dial-up Connection....)

The most frustrating thing was the irregularity of the problem because, sometimes, everything was working very well, relatively fast and I had no problem in viewing the images....

I also 'flush' Netscape cache regularly ... sooo .... I came to the conclusion that, in my case, the 'problem' was due to

Originally posted by T Paul
    Poor network connections or bad signals from telephone companies ......

Leave a comment:

• Mark Slater

• Mark Slater
    replied
    Thanks Doug.

I'm not sure if you're referring to client or server side cache. I do have a proxy running, but cache is turned off.

I've flushing my browser cache regularly lately.

BTW. Right now is the fastest response I've had in a while. A short while ago I tried to look at Flora's profile to see if her location is Australia but couldn't load it at all. Even all the smilies loaded!

Leave a comment:

• Doug Nelson
    Janitor

• Doug Nelson
    replied
    Another possible solution is a cache flush. It's possible a corrupted version of one of the support files has been cached, and instead of reloading a new one it's referring back to the old one.

Reaching for straws here, but this has actually happened.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Slater

• Mark Slater
    replied
    Paris, I'm in Australia too! Like you I'm just annoyed that access is limited for me to such a great site!

We had a problem similar on another board. It appeared that member's sites hosted with Verizon would not load for anyone in Australia or New Zealand. We didn't resolve it. Someone suggested that it was "a bad hop". I don't know, but we were totally locked out, although I could view verizon's home page.

The difference here is that pages do load but only partially and sometimes fully if a bit slow.

Doug, I don't know if it would be an image, because I've consistently seen pages stop loading just after doctype tag.

This only took three attempts to post!! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Doug Nelson
    Janitor

• Doug Nelson
    replied
    Sounds like it's loading fine, just having trouble displaying. So many things could cause this, from privacy software to browser plug-ins that conflict.

We've had a few situations where I screwed something up and most people were having problems, but the only case I can remember where only a handful were having problems were related to embedded data in uploaded images. There's an in-depth thread here somewhere about that. The only way to fix that is for someone to methodically find which image is causing the problem and then I can delete it.

Leave a comment:

• Paris
    replied
    Sorry to hear that both you, Mark, and Flora are having this problem. If there is a spare seat I'd like to join you.

I'm having exactly the same problem as you good folks. Takes forever for the site to load. All my browser settings are fine, firewall is permitted to access site, but still problems. At times nothing loads, yet later when I get on the site it says I last visited at such-n-such a time, which was the time that I couldn't access the site. I'm in Australia so the problem is not localised to just Flora and Mark.
    I have tried the work computer with the same results. I wonder if it's a bandwidth problem - server wise?
    Very frustrating, because even though I don't get a page loading it logs as I've been there and this makes new posts unavailable in the "New Posts" menu.
    I don't seem to be having this problem with other sites.
    HELP - I'm missing a great site. Open to suggestions.

**Paris**

Leave a comment: