Zen and the Art of RP Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zen and the Art of RP Maintenance

In case anyone ever wondered about my avatar (or was even remotely considering running their own large website) let me tell you how I spent yesterday while you all were getting the "forum down" error message:

very loose paraphrase of a web-based support session

me: My database is corrupt and when I run the repair utility it gives me an error. Can you determine the cause of this error? I must run the repair utility very frequently to maintain my site.

them: Which database would you like us to repair?

me: No, I need to be able to repair the site myself.

them: You can repair the database by running the repair utility.

me: I know how to repair it, but it's giving me an error. Can you determine why I'm getting an error? No one can access my website until this is fixed.

them: I just pinged your domain, no one should have any trouble accessing your site

me: My network is running fine, no one can access my site because the database has been corrupted.

them: You need to run the database repair utility. It is located on your site control panel.

me: I know where the repair utility is located, I've run it several times. It errors out and I need you to determine why.

Many exchanges later:

them: We have repaired your database.

me: Thank you, but I need to be able to do my own maintenance. Did you determine why it was erroring out?

them: You can do your own maintenance by running the repair utility.

To get the full effect, insert a 1/2 hour wait between each reply, end each reply with "Thank you, and please contact us if we can be of any more assistance", and have each response sent by a different tech, most (or all) of them from India.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Wow! I've been there and can fully appreciate your avatar!

Comment

You need to get your application in for sainthood, if you need a counter signatory I'll happily oblige.

ps. Is there a dent in the desk yet.

Comment

i share your pain, buddy...

i had similar talk few weeks ago, when we had troubles w/ IIS server on our faculty's domain... the moment i'll find out how to murder someone via phone, the life will get a whole lot better... for me

Comment

Working...
        X