Challenge: Mountain Haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Challenge: Mountain Haze

You've seen the pictures. You might even use one as a screensaver or desktop. They're incredibly popular, but all virtually identical.

Three or four mountains gradually recede into the haze. If you don't know what I'm talking about, here are some examples (copyrighted, so don't use these or attach them here):
    http://optics.kulgun.net/Blue-Mounta...-mountain1.jpg
    http://images.jupiterimages.com/comm...1/22401144.jpg
    http://images.medhunters.com/content...yMountains.jpg
    http://www.appvoices.org/images/uplo...re.nps.gov.jpg

Anyway, you get the idea.

But I'm thinking, these are incredibly simple images, really. Just some overlapping solid shapes, variations on a single color, some overlaid gradients, etc. But I've found it's much harder than that.

Have a go, see if you can make your own mountain haze image using only drawing and paint tools (ie: no photos or photo textures, etc.). Someone should be able to crack this formula, then we can have all the beautiful, hazy mountains we want.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Re: Mountain Haze

Here is a quick attempt at what you are suggesting. I used a base layer for the sky, then a layer for the mountains in the foreground. Then I added 3 layers for each subsequent range of mountains: one with the mountain, one with an haze layer that just peaked above the mountain and a third for an overall haze layer. I then varied the opacity for each of the layers until it looked right. For the mountains, I used the cloud filter. Then I used poster edges, added noise and a slight gaussian blur to give some texture. That's all there is, just a few layers and filters, no plugins, add ons or fancy brushes.
    Attached Files

Comment

That's pretty good. Gives the impression we're really high up, looking down on some mountains that aren't quite as high up as we are.
      Learn by teaching

Comment

I've had that idea for quite a while now. You gave me the incentive to experiment a little. The whole thing took me around 15 minutes. That's because I fiddled around with it. I'll have to try another one and fiddle a little more. Hopefully it will turn out better. I'll post it when I get it finished.

Comment

Gerry that is really nice and simple.
          Doug I did this about a year ago with the same idea that it must be easy to do in photoshop.
          Attached Files

Comment

That's very nice. About the only clue that it isn't a photo is the clouds are a bit too full and smooth.
            Learn by teaching

Comment

Re: Challenge: Mountain Haze

I've taken several pictures from the window seat of airplanes as I have flown over the years but have never tried creating the effect from scratch. I went for flatter, more cartooned and less noisy blue mountain.

Thanks Doug for the challenge. It was great fun.

Janet
              Attached Files

Comment

Striking, but you do have one transparent mountain
                Learn by teaching

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
                  Striking, but you do have one transparent mountain
                  You are absolutely right. I just changed my glasses to the ones I should really be using and there it was. Silly me. Now I'll have to change it.

Janet

Cleaned my glasses and changed original picture. Hopefully fixed the "transparent" mountain.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Janet Petty; 03-30-2008, 04:52 PM. Reason: hopefully fixed transparent mountain.

Comment