Enlightenment from above

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enlightenment from above

This challenge was left W I D E open...loved it. Here be my submission.

The composite image consists of basically 5 layers with a few adjustment layers on top of that. All of the individual images were yanked off of google image search. From the bottom up:

Base layer: A greenish creek bed cropped to fit...uhh thats it.

Fish: Extracted him from an image with my trusty extraction weapon of choice, the pen tool. His angle was a touch off so I used the liquify tool . He also has a brightness/contrast adjustment layer and opacity tweak. The last touch, the bubbles, a cool brush-set courtesy of Adobe Action Xchange:
    http://xchange.studio.adobe.com/axAs...sortorder1%3Dd

Water: Started out with a tutorial from http://www.spoono.com/tutorials/photoshop/water/ . The original was a little too turbulent for my needs so I modified it it. Instead of running radial blur on the clouds layer I ran a motion blur. This didn't give the contrast for a proper "wave" effect. So I hand painted some black and white wavy bits and stylized with bas relief and chrome. I then added a wave and zig zag distort to my liking. I finally adjusted w/ Hue/Saturation to get my coloring.

Eagle reflection: One of the wings was definitely not going to work. So I erased it, copied the other wing to another layer flipped it and nudged it into place and merged. When I'd placed him I adjusted his brightness, contrast and opacity to achieve a reflection.

At this point I ran adisplacement map on both the fish and the bird. I made a copy of my water layer, greyscaled it and saved it as a seperate file, displace.psd. I ran filter>distort>displace w/the default settings once on each animal. Heres a link to a wicked diplacememt tut:
    http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/...splacement.htm

Talons: made a copy and did a light gaussion blur and stylized w/ wind twice...trying to give a sense of movement. I ran a hue/sat adjustment layer to get the orange huer and then hand painted the mask to bring the talons back.

There were a few final tweaks that I did but unfortunatly lost my first description so this one is by memory.

Cheers,
    Etienne
    Attached Files

Very cool!! I love it!

Jeanie

Comment

I agree....Way Cool. The water looks so real.
      DJ

Comment

A split second later and you'd have to classify this image "R" rated due to extreme violence. First time I ever saw a fish sweating! Extra cool! Big thumbs up.

Ed

Comment

Yes! Definately way cool. Or even waaaaay cool....!

Comment

Wow.... Just ...... Wow.....

Jerry

Comment

Fantastic job on your entry Etienne! I absolutely love the viewpoint on this! The look on the fish’s face is simply priceless. Excellent description and with links too! THANKS so much!

-T

Comment

Cheers

I've never even fathomed the thought of being an artist and not that I even consider myself one now , I do see a small glimmer at teh end of the tunnel.

Thanks for the oppurtunity,
                Etienne

Comment

Etienne - I also love the image - the expression on the fish's face is telling, and the use of just the talon plus the reflection is creative.

"History has remembered the kings and warriors, because they destroyed;
                  Art has remembered the people, because they created."

--- William Morris (1834-1896)
                  English artist, poet, and social reformer

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 08-08-2002, 02:20 PM.

Comment

I like it..............but, if you want to improve it, here's what I would do. Sharpen the eagles claws till their in focus.
                    Add or darken shadows below water, both these things will add more contrast and punch to the image.
                    greg

Comment

The expression on that fish's face is priceless!

I like it. Fun, fun!

_^..^_
                      Farron

Comment

A little late getting here....but that is one great image.....love it
                        The fish expression is just right....
                        tom

Comment

Etienne's Eagle

Etienne, I really love your eagle/fish picture. Wonderful idea, and well-executed!

Phyllis

Comment