The Cost of Freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cost of Freedom

I found an editorial drawing in our local paper that became the basis for my submission. Also used were a flag from the site Doug mentioned, a photo of German soldiers that my father-in-law took in WW II to show the pain of people other than Americans, and a photo of my dad from WW I to represent our armed services. It was just a matter of using layer masks to bring things together, and lower the opacity of two of the layers. The bright color of the flag did not seem to fit the mood, so I used hue/saturation to tone the color down. Although this is not something that is easy to look at, I think it reflects the cost of freedom.

The file was too big. I'll try this one.
    Attached Files

Comment

I like how you combined the newspaper cartoon with the photographs. Very powerful images of war. And although it may be hard to look at due to the strong emotions, the price of freedom isn’t free and this poster is a good reminder of that fact. Nicely done Ed.

-T

Comment

A strong statement, perhaps even harsh. But I'd never argue that it wasn't well thought-out and executed.
        Learn by teaching
        Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Nicely done Ed,

You're becomming quite good at this stuff.

Well thought out and good combination of images...unfortunately a very true statement and it holds true all over the world where many have perished to gain freedom.

I feel it's worth the cost though as I can't imagine life without our great freedom.

Comment

Very well done Ed. I like the way you combined the political cartoon imagery with the tragic views of past war casualities. It really combines well to make a very important if not tragic point.
            DJ

Comment

Thanks for the replies. This is a part of it that nobody enjoys thinking about. It is much easier to think about togetherness at a time like this, but this is the grim reality of war in general.

Ed

Comment

Ed,
                your poster reminds me of this:

"For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it, lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.'Or what king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand?" Luke 14:28-31

i have often wondered since 9-11 if we as a nation have the ability to count the cost. i have been grateful that we still have at least some of the world war II and depression survivors to add the wisdom of a generation that paid the price to one that for the most part has not.

Your poster is painful to look at, but most necessary, most necessary, and i thank you for presenting that reality.

Comment