Fake tilt-shift effect blur

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake tilt-shift effect blur

I did this tilt-shift effect using Photoshop's Lens Blur and a simple reflected linear gradient as a depth map. I blurred a duplicate layer, then cleaned up with a layer mask to show the sharp details of the layer below (boat mast, etc.)

The idea is our eyes are accustomed to viewing the shallow depth-of-field shown in miniature shots, so when we see that same DOF in a full-sized subject, we register it as a miniature. So you'd want only objects at one set distance from the camera to be in focus. It also helps if you're looking down on the subject (again, just because that's what we're accustomed to seeing).

Original photo by Ivan Prole available here.

Let's see your own examples of fake tilt-shift blurring, and your explanation of how you did it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Doug Nelson; 05-15-2009, 03:33 PM. Reason: spelling
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Re: Fake tilt-shift effect blur

Peacock, one of the Aviary tools is perfect for this: http://aviary.com/thread?tid=859&q=Making%20miniatures

Comment

I really like this effect. It just needs the correct photo though otherwise it just doesn't work. Here's one of the harbour in my brothers town of Brixham.
      This was done using the desciption as per the link in Doug's thread. I found it was the saturation part that really made it look like a minature.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by butlermike; 05-15-2009, 12:50 PM. Reason: Edited for description

Comment

My attempt - it appears that the ideal image should have subject matter that is viewed in a somewhat head-on perspective for the effect to be evident. And having subject matter in the fore/background contributes to that as well.

In similar fashion to Doug's submission, I applied gaussian blur to a layer copy then went the round about way and did a marquee selection/deletion with a strong feathering (gradient) to create the fade of focused to blurred regions.
        No saturation adjustments made; the image I used already had these color values.

parkinglot_tilt-shift.jpg

Comment

First I placed this in another thread under another "tilt-shift" title. But I should probably remove it since I did it in the faux manner, with the tut you posted and the other one used additional software. Anyway, here it is, had a lot of fun with it & will probably use this technique in the future. The ship is a Princess cruise ship in Alaska and shot from inside a tram.
          Attached Files

Comment

It's odd that this is purely a modern phenomenon. Someone from 100 years ago would not experience the same miniature sensation.
            Learn by teaching
            Take responsibility for learning

Comment