Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cropping to a Specific Size

PhotoShop 7 and above:
    A feature that is really useful is the crop to size option. Enter the print size and resolution on the Options bar and then drag out a crop. This resamples the image to your exact size - the crop will always be proportional no matter how large or small the marquee is. This method eliminates the need to use the Image > Image size dialogue palette. You can save frequently used crop sizes (handy for wedding & social photographers). Click on the down arrow next to the crop tool (on the Options bar) and then click the small Create New Tool pre-set icon, enter a name and click OK. Your crop size is added to the list for future use.

Cropping to Size Basic Steps:
    1. Open Image
    2. Select crop tool. The option bar has width & height fields. Enter the size you want followed by the unit of measurement (for example "in" for inches and "px" for pixels).
    3. Now go to your photo and drag the cropping tool. It will be constrained to the sizes you entered.
    4. You can reposition the crop by moving your cursor inside the border of the image and simply dragging it to a new location or you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard.
    5. When you are happy with your selection, hit enter (Mac: Return).

Note: After you've enter an amount in the option fields they will remain until you clear them.

Related Topics

Collapse

• rnbluvva
    Question about Resizing 8 x10 to other Print Sizes
    by rnbluvva
    I was wondering... I have an 8 x 10 crop of an image that I want to make into 5 x 7 and 4 x 6 prints as well. When I resize the image to make it a 5 x 7 using Photoshop there is some space left and I have to take the crop tool to crop out the extra bit. This causes some loss of the image. How do I fix...
    12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
  • jclguru
    I hate cropping...ugh!
    by jclguru
    I have an image that according to ps is 14x9 inches. I'd like an 8x10.
    No matter what I try, nothing works.

I've tried cropping using the 8x10 as my values. Which, width wise,
    isn't enough. If I rotate my image (making it a 9x14) and change the
    crop values to 10x8,...
    03-21-2005, 08:14 PM
  • Raindown
    Cropping in for known print size
    by Raindown
    What's the best way, in lightroom or photoshop 6, to crop a photo for a known print size even if it means there is some enlargement that needs to be done?

Most of what I found deals with dimensions but not the fact that the photo may have to be enlarged a bit to fit the print size. ...
    11-28-2012, 08:58 AM
  • gholmes1936
    Crop tool or Image Size tool?
    by gholmes1936
    Millers Lab gave me some info that thru me a bit. A friend of mine emailed me an answer, but I am a little dense and would like your feedback on this.

Here is what he wrote:
    When you use the Crop tool in Photoshop you can specify width, length, and resolution.

06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
  • anon_uno
    photo cropping tool
    by anon_uno
    Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question but
    can anyone please advise if there is a tool that allow me to crop a digital photo in certain width and Heigh? I need one where you can specify the width and heigh then drag it aroundthe original photo until...
    09-01-2002, 07:56 PM
Working...
X