Selection Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selection Tool

You can use the selection tool to make copies of your selection quickly and easily. My standard practice for copying a selection is to select it then copy (Ctrl+C), paste (Ctrl+V). However, I just learned a neat little trick today.

1. Open an image
    2. Pick a selection tool (marquee, lasso etc)
    3. Make a selection

To cut away the selection (with the selection tool still active), hold the control key and drag your selection. This will remove (cut) the selection from the original.

To make a copy of your selection and leave the original in place, click on the move tool then hold the alt key and drag your selection.

To make multiple copies (and I found this to be very neat), click on the move tool, then while holding the alt key drag the copy and click and release your mouse button. Each time you drag the copy and release your mouse button a copy is made. Remember to keep the alt key pressed.

Got some more handy uses or tips for the selection tool? Feel free to add them to this thread!

~T
    Attached Files

Well Related Maybe

besides dragging the selection I sometimes use it with the transform tool (ctrl-T) to alter the size, shape or perspective (right click in the transform selection)

Comment

Re: Selection Tool

To move the outline of an empty selection hi light the new selection box in the tool bar and drag the empty selection to a new layer or another part of the image.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• jonk
        Elliptical Marquee Tool - Accuracy
        by jonk
        Hi Everyone!

I am trying to use the Elliptical Marquee Tool to select an existing oval background. However, I am having problems trying to get it to line up correctly/evenly with the oval background. Is there a key press that would allow me to adjust the position and/or size once it's...
        02-20-2005, 12:57 PM
      • Tony_Tea
        Using Transform Selection Tool
        by Tony_Tea
        I'm sorry if this is a stupid question. What is the transform selection tool supposed to do? When I try to use it I do the following (PSE6 with PSE6 tools).
        1) Load image
        2) Make a selection
        3) Click on the transform select icon in the Effects menu
        4) Rotate, resize or whatever...
        11-17-2008, 10:58 AM
      • mahjohn
        New Layer Via Copy
        by mahjohn
        i'm using Photoshop Restoration and Retouching Vol II and can't seem to get what appears to be a simple step right.

Task: remove Palm leaves from womans head.
        Steps:
        1. work on copy of background
        2. use Lasso tool to select Palm leaf 0 feather
        3. [Q] Gaussian...
        09-29-2003, 09:57 AM
      • scribbler
        selections within image
        by scribbler
        Can anyone guide me in where to find tutorials on selecting an object/area within a photograph so that I can use it elsewhere.

I have been using Paintshop pro for a short while and now I have only just purchased a 2nd hand version of Photoshop7 but have scoured the web in search of such...
        04-11-2005, 06:10 AM
      • trvlnmn
        transforming selection
        by trvlnmn
        I am running PSE 3 with HPPE 3. I am trying to follow a tutorial in Photoshop.
        Is there a tool in HPPE to transform or rotate a selection without transforming or rotating the image within the selection, just the selection?

trvlnmn
        09-08-2005, 11:59 PM
      Working...
      X