3D animation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D animation help

A friend has asked me if I can create a 3D animation which comprises a sphere (a globe probably) with writing going round it at an angle. I did a bit of googling and the best example of what I mean is the "World is Yours" statue from Scarface. I think it's a bit beyond my talents but what would be the easiest way to achieve something like this?

Re: 3D animation help

There are at least a few ways you can achieve this. The first one is to create a text path in Illustrator and import the path into your 3D program, then use a deformer to wrap the path around the sphere and extrude. The second method also involves Illustrator, but instead of using a deformer, try projecting the path onto the sphere and extrude. The third method is probably the most straightforward and it's what I used to create the attached image. Create the text curves in your 3D program, then project the curves on the surface of the sphere and extrude. Make sure you set your extrusion to follow the directions of the surface normals (not the directions of x, y, z, or whatever else) of the sphere, otherwise, your extrusion will end up all over the place. I used Maya for this, but other 3D programs should have similar functions. Let me know if you have further questions and I'll try my best to answer them. Good luck.
    Attached Files

Comment

Instead of extruding, you can also bevel the curves if your 3D program has that function.

Comment

Get Swift 3D. It is very user friendly flash, 3D animation program.

Comment

That's great Pixel Monkey, just need to spin it round the globe! I maybe should have pointed out that I don't have any 3D software of any kind as yet, and $250 for Swift is just too steep for me! I've just installed Serif 3DPlus version 1.0 that I found on an old disc but it doesn't seem to have the wrap or bend text commands. It is a bit basic.
          Last edited by bodegg; 06-22-2008, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Though it has a bit of a learning curve, you may consider TrueSpace 3.2 a free-license full version of a popular 3D modeling program:

http://forms.caligari.com/forms/ts3all_free.html

Comment

Creating types and primitive shapes are probably the simplest tasks a 3D program could handle. I've never used Serif 3DPlus, but i'm sure it has the ability to create what you're looking for. You may need to be more familiar with its tools and know how they function. The learning manual from the program and tutorials might help.
              The animation part should be similar to setup on your software. Set the orientation point of the text at exactly at the center of the sphere. Animating its rotation in the X direction by setting the first key frame at 0 degree and the last key frame at 360 degree and recycle the animation. The speed is going to be controlled by the number of frames you set between the first and last key frame.

Comment

I just realized that you want the text to rotate at an angle. Setting the orientation at the center of the sphere is not going to work in this case. You will need to set the orientation to follow along a curve, surface of the sphere, track, or whatever your 3D program calls it, so your text will end up moving like a train around the sphere.

Comment

I did something similar to this not long ago.
                  http://www.davesdfr.com/Media/WorldNews_SM.html

Comment

That looks good, Dave.

Comment

Hey that's brilliant. Far beond my capabilities though! I've tried downloading the truespace software but I can't get past the registration page. It says I've made the following errors then doesn't list any!?
                      Last edited by bodegg; 06-28-2008, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Have you checked on TrueSpace forums to see if anyone has encountered similar problems and how they resolved them?

Comment